• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice on completeing required hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Waters

Freshman Member
Greetings all,
I've recently completed my appraisal course and am now a registered appraiser and trying to find a mentor or someone to work with in the Atlanta area. My question is this: I have some family members (in another city here in Georgia) that are licensed appraisers. Am I able to use them to sign off on my reports or does it have to be someone in the same area? Atlanta is a pretty big city, so hopefully I can find someone soon, but if not it would be nice to be able to use them as a back-up plan to complete the required hours. Any ideas or suggestions?

Peace & blessings,
JSun 8)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
JSun;

Yes it is marginally permissible, however there is a concern for geographic competence: the folks you are asking to sign off on your work are probably unaware of the issues specific to your market and IF they do sign off are taking full responsibility for what would ultimately wind up being your actions. You probably would not be heavily sanctioned if caught doing something in-correct, but they could lose their license/certifications! I would not consider doing this even for my Sister-in-law a highly ethical and competent individual, recently provisionally licensed but living just a little too far away for a commute or working on projects!

It would be far better if at first you could go to their markets and learn the basics, and then find a mentor locally once you have acquired a bit of savy and polish.

Just my opinion...

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Find a local mentor, take the time to learn the profession correctly. Don't rush it...obtaining your registered license is like a learner's permit for driving. The Appraisal Standards Board and Appraisal Qualificaitons Board are looking at a change in the regulations to insure a "trainee" has sufficient training. In my opinion, two years is the least amount of time necessary to learn the trade. Using a remote supervisor is a great way to get in deep do do!

Jason Waters

Freshman Member
THanks Lee Ann & Mike for the info, I hope to find someone soon in the Atlanta area to work for, I'll even do office work first if thats what it takes, i'm anxious to get out there and get started in the business.

Peace & blessings
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks