• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Affordable Housing bill in Arkansas senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Terrell, Edward, and the rest of you Arkansas folks. I've been spending a lot of time in Little Rock with a critically ill Daddy-In-Law lately and have been seeing sizable Realtor PAC ads in the papers against a pending Affordable Housing bill in your senate.

Apparantly the bill is worded so that mobile homes acquired under this program can be placed almost anywhere and the state laws are to be changed in a way that this program will take precedence over city/county zoning/use restrictions and also private restrictive neighborhood covenants.

Any chance of this bill actually passing?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Naturally I have to jump in since you used the magic word. Are they talking about mobile homes originally constructed prior to June 15, 1976? Or are do they mean manufactured homes constructed to HUD code since 1976? Or are they talking about both? If the mobile homes prior to 1976--I agree with them. But if they are talking about HUD code homes, then they need to get more specific. Or would they also be thinking of modular homes constructed to a site built code? Some of those HUD code manufactured and site built code modular could be an improvement in some neighborhoods! Some very interesting books published on the HUD.gov web site for HUD code homes that have been used for in-fill in established neighborhoods. The photos of the neighborhoods are interesting--kinda hard to pick out the HUD code home in the photo. Might be easy on the ground, but in the photo--very interesting.

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
Hello Jo Ann!

I haven't seen the bill, only the Realtor PAC ads opposing the bill. I agree that fill-ins in some neighborhoods would certainly be an improvement. I was more concerned with opening the gates to over-ride local zoning laws and private restrictions.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
We've had a version of that in Texas for some time. However, no one had really looked at it until recently. It seems that a homeowner went out and purchased a lot that was in an older subdivision and had no restrictions as to the type of home other than size, then set a mfg. home on it. To say the city and the neighbors were ticked off was an understatement.

Roger

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Sorry to hear of heath problems, it is no fun.

Because of our low wage situation in Arkansas, many MFH exist.

If they do not load them up with "frills", put them on a permanent foundation they actually increase in value.

That is not usually what happens.

In the Cities there is MUCH resistance, even though the structure are better than some of the protesters properties.

Even in a planned MFH SD, which is legal, if approved by planning board, people =====.

In NW ARK, 50% of people live outside City limits, we have treated water lines all over the place, most soils will perk---thus that is where most MFH are, and will continue to be.

If we did not have them, our economy would crumble--but the protester could care less.

I do think the bill will pass, and perhaps it should not.

There have been times in annexed areas where a fimily needed to add a MFH to the site, but could not because of City zoning.

Progress is painful.

ed

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I was not aware that this bill had been introduced, but by chance got a small blip of it on the 6:00 news. Apparently it has been introduced in the Senate in just the last few days. I will try to find it online tonight; will share the bill number and status when I find it.

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
Ed,

Please don't think I was implying anything derogartory towards your fine state, I love it up there. Lord knows Mississippi has more than it's fair share of Tornado Magnets and in my younger days have occupied many of one.

I guess the point I was trying to make is the fact that, from what I read in the Realtor PAC ads, it would allow mobile homes marketed under this progam to literally be placed anywhere land can be acquired. I can just imagine such happening in some of my markets. Talk about a t*rd in the hot tub, oh man!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Actually the bill states a town must have at least one subdivision where manufactured homes are allowed to be set, so it is not like you could set one on a $100,000 lot in Pinnacle Hills. Further, it defines the MH as post-76 HUD Code homes. The MHs can be required to meet certain state plumbing and electrical codes adapted for houses, which will not be much problem for MH manufacturers. I support it. The elderly are buying more and more MHs in this region. More and more people are going to be required to live in MHs as the spread between the wealthy and the poor expands. Under the current "not in my city" rules that is adhered to in every town except Springdale in NW Arkansas, it has only forced MHs into unregulated rural subdivisions and on small rural tracts. At least in city tracts, minimum cleanliness standards apply. No 3 cars on concrete blocks behind everyone, etc.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Terrel is quite accurate in his summary of the bill. The bill, SB407, passed the Senate toady and has been sent to the House. It is not currently scheduled on any House committee calender.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
This is latest copy I found, it may have been slightly amended..something in the paper this morning about it.

Subchapter 16. The Affordable Housing Accessibility Act.

14-54-1601. Title.

This subchapter shall be known and cited as the “Affordable Housing Accessibility Act.”

14-54-1602. Definitions.

As used in this subchapter:

(1) “Federal standards” mean the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards promulgated by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development under the authority of 42 U.S.C. 5401 et seq. as it existed on January 1, 1976;

(2) “Manufactured home” means a dwelling unit constructed in a factory in accordance with the federal standards and meeting the definitions set forth in the federal standards and under Arkansas Code § 20-25-102; and

(3) “Mobile home” means a dwelling unit constructed in a factory before the enactment of the federal standards.

14-54-1603. Municipal construction and installation standards.

(a) Municipalities shall not establish or continue in effect any ordinance or regulation that sets standards for manufactured home construction or safety that are not identical to the federal standards.

(B) Municipalities shall not establish or continue in effect any ordinance or regulation that sets standards for manufactured home installation that are inconsistent with the state standards for installation set forth under § 20-25-106 and the design of the manufacturer.

14-54-1604. Municipal regulation of manufactured homes.

(a)(1) Municipalities that have zoning ordinances shall allow the placement of manufactured homes on individually-owned lots in at least one (1) or more residential districts or zones within the municipality.

(2) Municipalities shall not establish or continue in effect any ordinance or regulation that restricts the placement of manufactured homes only to mobile home parks, subdivisions or land lease communities.

(B) Municipalities may establish reasonable regulations or conditions for the placement of manufactured homes within the jurisdiction, including, but not limited to,:

(1) Perimeter foundation enclosures;

(2) Connection to utilities;

(3) Building setbacks;

(4) Side or rear yard offsets;

(5) Off-street parking;

(6) Construction of carports, garages and other outbuildings;

(7) Entry and exits, porches, decks, and stairs; and

(8) Other regulations or conditions that are applicable to other single family dwellings in the same residential district or zone.

© Municipalities shall not impose regulations or conditions on manufactured homes that prohibit the placement of manufactured homes or that are inconsistent with the regulations or conditions imposed on other single family dwellings permitted in the same residential district or zone.

14-54-1605. Regulation of Mobile Homes.

Municipalities may prohibit the placement of mobile homes in all residential districts or zones, or may restrict the placement of mobile homes to designated mobile home parks, subdivisions, or land lease communities.

14-54-1606. Exceptions.

(a) This subchapter shall not supersede, prevent, or preempt any valid covenants or bills of assurance.

(B) This subchapter shall not require that manufactured homes be permitted in historic districts.

SECTION 2. This act is effective October 1, 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks