• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

After Applying To AMC's How Do You Actually Get Them To Send Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco2

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I'm at a point where I spent the last 5 years as a 1 man shop doing 90% of my work for 3 clients. I didnt really sign up to AMC's during this time. Some have actually called and emailed me asking me to get aboard, but I did not because If I do get on board I want to make sure I can give them my all. That said this 3 clients got my all. But im afraid looking back it might have been more beneficial to spread out rather than contract thin with these 3. Im at a point where my big 3 arent really sending me much? Why I really dont know.

So all that said. I have a good list of at least 10 big AMC's that id like to sign up with. My question is after I sign with them, how do they even know I did that or even if they did know, why would they send me work if they have other guys in the area they've been working with for many years? Upon signing up with an AMC, is there a way to follow up and let them know im available and ready to give them them my best and service them with quality? Is their a certain assigner that I should reach out to within the AMC? Or does the assigner see that a new appraiser in a certain area is available through their database informing them? Im just curious to know what their decision process is and how they even know that new appraisers are available.

Is it a matter of just throwing enough ****e at the wall and seeing if it sticks? Do they have random rotation modules?

Please let me know your strategies?

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i'd say give them a week or two and see if anything is sent once they have added you to their panel. if nothing comes over then a call would not be out of the ordinary. i wouldn't count on many orders right now as things seem to be pretty slow all over for residential mortgage work.

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Step #1: Step out of your comfort zone, call them on the phone and have a friendly conversation about who you are and that you are available to give good, fast service.
Step #2: Repeat step #1.
Your success is just on the other side of your comfort zone.
Good luck.

Franco2

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Step #1: Step out of your comfort zone, call them on the phone and have a friendly conversation about who you are and that you are available to give good, fast service.
Step #2: Repeat step #1.
Your success is just on the other side of your comfort zone.
Good luck.

I actually prefer to communicate like that. Thats how ive already operated in the past. But the AMC model confuses me a bit. Would it be prudent to contact them before or after signing up? Who is the proper person within the organization that will be ultimately in charge of giving you work. For instance if I get a hold of a random office administrator who has no say in assigning its a lost cause. Not saying I wouldn't want to introduce myself to him or her but as far as my objective goes its a dead end. I apologize if these question come off as dumb, but i admit its been quite a while and aback when I first got AMC work they actually came to me and I developed a great relationship with just 3 while kind of blowing off some others. Not intentionally, but I got really swamped by these 3 and lost track of everything else.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
One sure fire way is to take $100-200 off your C&R fee. Consider it a cost of doing business.

EddieB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I wish I had better advise, but remember the vast, vast majority only care about fee. Now that volume is down, they'll shop around to save $25.

I love your attitude and I wish you well!

Salty

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
If you do not reduce your fee, you may not get much, or any work. I signed up with a bunch when I first started out and to this day I and quote, and quote and quote. I get very few because I stick to my fee. I am still baffled as to how low of a fee some of these AMC reports are solicited for. I think some people forget that the appraiser should also be paid for holding the liability, not just the work itself. For example the latest Clear Capital gem is a 1004 with REOADD for $295. My fee for such a thing would start at $400 and go up depending on any challenges. The spread of the two fees is so great, I would only submit my offer if I have absolutely nothing to do because the time to research and quote is money.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
quotes... ugh. i can see where they send out quotes under the guise of obtaining data for C&R but we all know better. i only work with one AMC and they do not send quotes, just orders. years ago i applied for a couple panels and got on them, and they all required me to submit a fee list for various product. i never actually accepted or completed work for any of them but they continuously sent me emails asking for quotes, which made no sense as i already told them my fees as they required. i guess i could understand it for the turn time aspect if i really stretched it but i just don't want to play that game at this stage in my career.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I think it is safe to say that various AMCs approach new appraisers in different ways. Some do exactly what is suggested in the OP. They keep sending work to those they already have a relationship with, making it very tough for the new person to break in and get work. Others take a different approach. They intentionally send work to new providers in order to gauge the quality of work for an actual assignment (as opposed to a "sample") and to gauge the level of service. It just depends on the specific policies of the individual company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks