• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI Call for action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonders

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
hopefully even the AI haters can see the AI is at least of some benefit for bringing issues like this to the rest of us:

Appraisal Institute Issues Action Alert to Pennsylvania Appraisers

The Pennsylvania legislature is currently weighing a bill that would prevent appraisers from accessing real estate data. The bill, S.B. 1, would also make it unlawful to use such data for commercial purposes.

Noting that it is extremely close to passing the legislature and becoming law, the Pennsylvania Chapter of the Appraisal Institute urges Pennsylvania appraisers to contact their State House Representative and urge them to oppose this legislation.

To visit the Action Alert that enables appraisers to do so, visit http://capwiz.com/appraisal/issues/alert/?alertid=10972651&type=ST.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
I am from PA, but never worked there, from what I always heard one had to be a "broker" in order to be an appraiser, or something foolish like that. I think it finally changed, my guess is the old establishment is trying to get things back to the way they were.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Pubic data? My WIFE keeps me from viewing pubic data!

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
yep. I read every piece of proposed legislation in every state government...:rof: :rof:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Careful what you wish for.

Okay,
Did you read the actual bill?

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...d=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0001&pn=1763

Folks, please read the bill and make up your own mind. I don't see anything that would prohibit an appraiser (or anyone else) from viewing pubic data.
If you read the alert you would see they are not claiming it would prohibit access, rather just inhibit access and possibly prevent its use in a commercial product (aka appraisal report.)

Why should the public pay the bill for a database, while appraiser's resell the data and claim it as their own. It is intellectual property that belongs to all the public. Shouldn't all the public share in the profits from its use? Stop the abuse of public records for private profit. Silly you say? It rests on the same arguments made by appraisers concerned over data mining of appraisals. That battle is best lost IMHO. The cost of winning will far outweigh any benefit.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Section 1307(B)(4) provides that these records "shall not be sold or otherwise provided to another person for commercial purposes" (P.N. 1726: page 94, lines 16-18). Appraisers would be especially hard-hit. In particular, many appraisers use appraisal data offered by real estate service providers to appraise real property. Access to these services offers the benefits of speed, accuracy, convenience, and lower cost. However, as the bill is currently written, it would be unlawful to use such data for any commercial purposes (thus effectively “killing” these services).

.....including AVMS

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Every time the AI called me in the past they wanted money. I dont take their calls any more.
I think they cried wolf one too many times with me. Sorry.

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
PE, they don't want your money...they just want Pennsylvania members to call their reps.

I can't believe CoStar didn't payroll this into the ground before the ink dried on the proposal.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I haven't seen any hue and cry from the local appraisers or re agents that I know. Here is an article from the local rag.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08044/856949-178.stm

And Mr. Sum, prior to licensing, one had to first become a RE agent, train for 3 years, then take the broker's exam prior to being able to sign a report. Now it's just a lousy, stinkin' 2 year dash.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks