• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI Coursework - tax credit eligible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaufl

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Does anyone know if Appraisal Institute course work is eligible for either the Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition and Fees Deduction on a federal income tax return? How would i find out if they are a qualified institution?

I already asked the local chapter and was told to talk to an accountant.

Thanks

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I do believe you were given very sound advice. I don't believe any tax advice you get from the folks here would be credible unless it was to repeat what the AI told you. That is of course unless the advice comes from a practicing CPA who is also an appraiser or if they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The best answer, besides seek the advice of an accountant will be "IT DEPENDS".

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
no

But yes, I did recently stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

The Appraisal Institute is not a post-secondary school.

This from the IRS

In general , an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other post-secondary educational institution including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (private-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. For more information, refer to Form 8863 (PDF), Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits), Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, or Tax Topic 605, Education Credit.

Perhaps consider a different direction.

If your appraisal practice is set up as a business, the courses are an educational expense.

But, see your accountant. He may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and knows how to appraise real property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks