• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI Executive Director Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Many who are not members of the Appraisal Institute seem to be very interested in what happens within the AI. So allow me to be one of the first to break the news:

The Executive Director (in that position for 10 years) has tended his resignation.

I've met Fred Grubbe and thought he was a likable person. The AI has made some good moves during his tenure but it is fair to say that the AI is at a crossroads currently.

As an AI member, I'd rather be able to work with the executive group that is in place rather than replace them to find a group I can work with, but sometimes when change is needed, so is new leadership.

All in all, I think Fred's resignation is unfortunate but necessary. I hope that it is part of the process to move the AI more toward a membership-driven organization (bottom-up) rather than an Executive Board driven organization (top-down).

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Many who are not members of the Appraisal Institute seem to be very interested in what happens within the AI. So allow me to be one of the first to break the news:

The Executive Director (in that position for 10 years) has tended his resignation.

I've met Fred Grubbe and thought he was a likable person. The AI has made some good moves during his tenure but it is fair to say that the AI is at a crossroads currently.

As an AI member, I'd rather be able to work with the executive group that is in place rather than replace them to find a group I can work with, but sometimes when change is needed, so is new leadership.

All in all, I think Fred's resignation is unfortunate but necessary. I hope that it is part of the process to move the AI more toward a membership-driven organization (bottom-up) rather than an Executive Board driven organization (top-down).
As an outside observer I agree with your assessment that he probably had to go. The whole ongoing rift between the AI and the Appraisal Foundation happened on his watch and hopefully new leadership will be able to figure out a way to patch up relations with the AF since it is not good for the profession to have an ongoing rift between the AI and AF.

pbidwell

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Is this possibly a quick reaction from Region III asking for the resignation of Grubbe AND all of the Executive Committee? The most unfortunate problem is the fact there are a continuing amount of critical issues weighing down the AI, and now they have to search for another CEO. :ohmy: As an AI member for more than 30 years, it worries me on how the AI is focusing on its future. Time will tell, how the things go for the national focus on the AI.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Jonathon Gruber recently posted an article about the loss of membership. I believe membership is down to ~15,000 now. They have to stop the bleeding of members and especially on the residential side.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Absolutely
Jonathon Gruber recently posted an article about the loss of membership. I believe membership is down to ~15,000 now. They have to stop the bleeding of members and especially on the residential side.
Absolutely. The bleed related to residential needs to stop. There is an absolute need to listen to the boots on the ground fee appraiser who is residential and considers residential the penultimate not a steppingstone to grander things (e.g. MAI). I do believe there is listening and weighing of ideas. Hopefully things are changing. Only time will tell. It is also time for the executive committee to have a strictly residential appraiser at the table. Just my opinion of course

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I wonder how many members they would have if they moved to a trade union configuration versus their quasi union-esque membership association?

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
The new leadership needs to quickly create Safe-Zones for the residential members who have faithfully paid their dues. Many on the long march have anxiously waited and hoped they would be taken into the tent and proudly help right the sinking ship. The photo of the directors gives a clear snap-shot of where the AI has gone ( OLD ) and it's obvious they need new younger blood and diversity that understands the needs of the boots on the ground appraisers.

If I was the new leader the first step I would do is employ recruiters who did nothing but sell AI to residential appraisers including a new designation which I would name ( PA ) which stands for Professional Appraiser. The SRA designation would be changed to ( MRA ) Master Residential Appraiser and because they have more required AI education they would be considered senior in the residential division.

The new by-laws would require that no more than 50% of the directors could be MAI designated and the rest of the board would have to be SRA . The tier one member or new ( PA ) would not have any seat on the board or make any business decisions unless they served a local chapter for a minimum of 5 years. Any member over-75 years old would automatically become ( Emeritus Status ) and not be able to vote or make any business decisions. The Emeritus-Status ( EMAI ) would be like a concierge who all members could go to for council or mentor-ship and when he-she decided to retire or died it would be with dignity.

OK: Just a dream now I will go back to the basement and read my new NAR magazine : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks