• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI-GRS exam prep questions

TXreviewer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
Good afternoon all. I've been an appraiser for over a decade but am new to this forum and am coming here hoping for some guidance. I am a bank reviewer who is begrudgingly working towards the AI-GRS designation at the "request" of my boss. I'm not an MAI (and frankly have no desire to get any of these designations, but that's a topic for another time perhaps) and was wondering if anyone here has successfully taken the AI-GRS exam for non-MAI appraisers, and if so what did you use to study for it? The AI exam guide is pretty useless. It basically says to just study everything from every AI course you've ever taken in your career as well as the Appraisal of Real Estate textbook, the Appraisal Dictionary, and USPAP. I'm not aware of any kind of prep course or practice exams that are available, so would really appreciate any recommendations or feedback from others who have already blazed this trail. Thanks.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
That is some "request"--hope you get a big raise! Good luck!

Just a comment, not a specific answer. If you are a candidate for the AI review designation, do you have an AI mentor for the process? The right person can advise you on those practical matters. I know the first SRA to earn the AI-RRS review designation; she was very helpful to me when I was going for my SRA. She accepted my request to be my mentor and it worked out well. She lives in a different part of the country from me, so it does not have to be a local. I would think the same sort of practical advice could help you going for your GRS, especially at this stage. As much or as little as you need, but what you do need.

I know they offer the review designations "on their own" but when I weighed RRS or SRA, I got the impression that they expected the review designation would attract mostly people already designated. Maybe that is why it seems you are really on your own at this stage. Still there seem to be more reviewers with the single designation lately, so someone should show up with a specific answer.

TXreviewer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
That is some "request"--hope you get a big raise! Good luck!

Just a comment, not a specific answer. If you are a candidate for the AI review designation, do you have an AI mentor for the process? The right person can advise you on those practical matters. I know the first SRA to earn the AI-RRS review designation; she was very helpful to me when I was going for my SRA. She accepted my request to be my mentor and it worked out well. She lives in a different part of the country from me, so it does not have to be a local. I would think the same sort of practical advice could help you going for your GRS, especially at this stage. As much or as little as you need, but what you do need.

I know they offer the review designations "on their own" but when I weighed RRS or SRA, I got the impression that they expected the review designation would attract mostly people already designated. Maybe that is why it seems you are really on your own at this stage. Still there seem to be more reviewers with the single designation lately, so someone should show up with a specific answer.
Thanks for the comments. I do have a mentor assigned, but he's an MAI as well and one of the first people to get the AI-GRS designation too so he only had to take the abbreviated version of the exam for those already designated. He doesn't really know what the full day-long two module version for non-designated people consists of. That's why I'm trying to find someone who has taken the full deal and may have some tips.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Someone I know who is a bank reviewer works with a guy who did what you are doing. Because you have a new account here I don't think you can use the forum mail. Maybe you can mail out, not sure. If you search my name you can find my website and email. Drop me an email and I will send the info. Maybe it will be useful.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks