• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI needs new members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caligirl

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
If anyone else has rec'd the AI update there is some information about how the AI is considering increasing membership. The below is interesting:

8. SRA associate members now have the option to take a 45-hour package, in lieu of writing a Demonstration Appraisal Report. This new alternative allows an SRA associate member to complete the demo requirements within a course setting of just 10 days.

...and,

Regarding designations, the impact of the 45-hour package that led to the increase in 2007 SRA designations is likely to have a similar impact in 2008. To make the General designation track more efficient, the Admissions and Designation Qualifications Committee is finalizing a proposal to provide like alternatives for Associates seeking the MAI designation.

Last edited:

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I am almost done with all the stupid hoops I had to jump through for the MAI...now they want to make it easier...now!!! Errr.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It is my understanding the only change they are considering for the MAI designation is a demo alternative similar to the existing SRA demo alternative.

I first heard a rumor of this possible change in March 2007.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
In my area the local chapter awarded 6 SRA designations this year. Only 2 were given out in the 7 years prior to the new rules.

TC

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
And guess what, people are starting to ask WHEN you got your designation, because they KNOW the difference....just a thought brilliant AI leadership if you are reading this.

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
How long did the SRA demo take to write? If it took a week...they are going to need a month long class to cover the MAI demo.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Water down a designation at a time when minimum certification requirements are increasing. Good way to make it meaningless.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Exactly how the residential membership felt about the SRA demo alternative! Fell on completely deaf ears. By the time the powers that be put out the directives, the decisions are made and they are completely deaf to any input from the membership.

I have joined the NAIFA

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Exactly how the residential membership felt about the SRA demo alternative! Fell on completely deaf ears. By the time the powers that be put out the directives, the decisions are made and they are completely deaf to any input from the membership.

I have joined the NAIFA

Both organizations are great. I am just not a joiner but have the highest respect for both.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Bravo to the AI! ! ! And, yes, I am an Associate Member of the AI.

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I think it's inevitable that the Demo alternative will be offered for the MAI designation. In my opinion, it's not a matter of if, but when.

I'm still planning on writing my Demo this spring right after I take the comprehensive exam in February so I'm not interested in the alternative. However, considering the fact that there are now more SRA's due to the residential demo alternative, the AI will likely choose to implement the demo alternative for the MAI designation to boost membership and increase cash flow from dues.

I agree with the previous comment that people will likely begin to ask when you recieved your MAI designation and if you wrote a Demo or not. People who take the shortcut will probably take some flak from other MAI's that did it the "hard way".

No matter what happens, I would still highly recommend that all commercial appraisers pursue the MAI designation. The process has been an extremely valuable learning experience for me and it has also increased my network of appraisers with whom I share data. I just wish I would have started the journey sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks