• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI Online Class Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I did my first one the other day. They send you to a 3rd party test center. Is it normal to get everything but a colonoscopy before being allowed to take the test?

I brought by my Drivers License and Pasport as my 2 forms of ID. But the passports new and I had not signed it yet. She had to call to get special approval for me to sign it then so she could use it as ID. Then I had to empty my pockets into a locker; watch, keys, wallet etc. Then the guy wanted me to roll back my shirt sleeves. He also cleared the registers on my 12C.

I didnt know there was that much cheating involved in HBU testing.

Oliver

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Interesting stuff. I'm taking my first (and hopefully last!) exam at a testing center here, too. Good to know about the TSA style stuff. How'd you do?

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
I passed. Its really not hard. Highest and best used is really a very simple concept; "Is this the best way to used this property all things considered?" 90% of it is common sense. The other 10% is a mostly an artificial construct of method and enumeration of the factors that go into HBU which allow a person with little or no intuitive or conceptual grasp of HBU, to apply the concept in the most complex of circimstances.

Oliver

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Was this for the Cert Gen or Residential? Good to know, thanks for the info!

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I did my first one the other day. They send you to a 3rd party test center. Is it normal to get everything but a colonoscopy before being allowed to take the test?

I brought by my Drivers License and Pasport as my 2 forms of ID. But the passports new and I had not signed it yet. She had to call to get special approval for me to sign it then so she could use it as ID. Then I had to empty my pockets into a locker; watch, keys, wallet etc. Then the guy wanted me to roll back my shirt sleeves. He also cleared the registers on my 12C.

I didnt know there was that much cheating involved in HBU testing.
That is standard procedure for well run testing companies.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
If they require two IDs, I'm surprised they let you use one that wasn't signed before you came in.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
If they require two IDs, I'm surprised they let you use one that wasn't signed before you came in.

Its kind of ridiculous as a security feature. If I had produced a fake DL and fake passport (for purposes of cheating on a 14 hour BE exam!) I would for sure remember to sign it before I got there. Secondly. if the person checking the IDs and signatures were sufficiently trained in document recognition to tell fakes from authentic, and also cross trained in handwriting analysis sufficiently to tell a real signature from a practiced fake (in the 2 seconds she actually looked at them) there's no way they'd work at a flunky job like receptionist at a testing center. Purely a feel-good level of security that will deter only those not intent on cheating in the first place.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Its kind of ridiculous as a security feature. If I had produced a fake DL and fake passport (for purposes of cheating on a 14 hour BE exam!) I would for sure remember to sign it before I got there. Secondly. if the person checking the IDs and signatures were sufficiently trained in document recognition to tell fakes from authentic, and also cross trained in handwriting analysis sufficiently to tell a real signature from a practiced fake (in the 2 seconds she actually looked at them) there's no way they'd work at a flunky job like receptionist at a testing center. Purely a feel-good level of security that will deter only those not intent on cheating in the first place.

None the less, most people who are supposed to be looking at IDs will not consider one that isn't signed. Flunky job or not, you got lucky that they let you test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks