• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AI To Replace Workers In 40 Years - What To Do For The Displaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Can't find a link to it yet. Bloomberg was interviewing a tech world guru this morning who said the economy would zoom in the next 40 years as Artificial intelligence replaced most farm workers, factory works, "legal assistants", etc... I assume that would mean appraisers, too - an issue we've discussed before. He admitted the income inequality would be much much worse.

He admitted this mean huge job losses and on the bright side, the economy would be so good that they could pay people to stay unemployed....wow.

What an idiot. People don't want a handout. If he wants to see that, I suspect you will see mass rioting, destruction of AI equipment, and perhaps murder of the "intellectual" master class and the (non) working class who would basically be the slaves. I think AI may be a "revolution" in more ways than one.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
"intellectual" master class!????? Love that one!

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I heard most AI members are so old they will not be around in 40 years, so whats the problem?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I'd like to find the Bloomberg link, probably on their channel. It was so matter of fact the way he presented it as though it would benefit most Americans...in fact, it benefits almost none of us...of course, 40 years from now it is not going to be my problem.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I thought this was going to be an appraisal institute rant.
Funny... That's why I spelled it out in the text. This guy is well respected in Silicon Valley and seems so convinced that people will be perfectly happy to get a stipend from the government and whiling their life away playing chess in the park...?

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
He admitted this mean huge job losses and on the bright side, the economy would be so good that they could pay people to stay unemployed....wow.
Some probly thought that sounded just great. So WHO gets to decide how much to pay? Sounds like a nightmare to me...

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I read a lot of science fiction and I remember one idea that was proposed probably 20+ years ago was that people would buy robots that would then work for them allowing them leisure time. In retrospect it’s not a very well thought out idea as why would someone pay you for your robot’s labor when they could just go buy the robot themselves?

Is there a certain point where a large percentage of the population is unemployable due to technology? Probably. Whether it’s robots, AI, nanotechnology, 3-D printing, etc. On the one hand goods and services will become cheaper so it won’t cost as much to maintain a reasonable standard of living. Just look at how cheap food and clothing are compared to a few generations ago when people spent 20-50% of their income on food vs. 10% or so today. On the other there will be a lot of people that will be unemployable and won’t be able to afford even basic necessities. There is the idea of a basic income in lieu of other social welfare programs. If things were cheap due to ubiquitous robot labor, etc. a basic income of $1-2,000 per month could be even for many people who are content to sit at home all day instead of making an effort to go earn more. We already have a sizeable group of people that for various reasons (whether legitimate or not) can go many years without ever earning a paycheck and still survive off charity, social welfare, disability, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks