• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

alamode workshops - worth it?

dmhashimoto

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I'm contemplating signing up for the Mobile Appraiser Workflow In-person Workshops. I'm old school with my clipboard and pen - trying to transition to mobile. Just wanted to get some feedback if these are worth attending. Thanks

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Never wasted my time with them. The mobile app is easy to learn and sketching on the iPad is so much easier. Plus, you know GLA issues before returning to the office.

ramrcdk

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I'm contemplating signing up for the Mobile Appraiser Workflow In-person Workshops. I'm old school with my clipboard and pen - trying to transition to mobile. Just wanted to get some feedback if these are worth attending. Thanks
MOBILE: here is one regarding DESK TOPPIES ...certainly they are MOBILE.... under the monster CORELOGIC umbrella
The Columbia Institute [email protected]

Being very facetious ;)

"Old School" research for me indicates I likely require a TOO large tablet (old school eyes)
and then 2) bundling, dropping, breaking : the "higher dollar- necessary tools",
3) based on cost (software free) &
4) time-tasking learning curve (likely learn from the footprint of my own address),
5) AND estimating the time left in this career
...I am also considering LOL an Al-a-CORELOGIC course. More interested in something "new" than common sense.

I will check into that & post. CE if approved = interest.

NC Hammer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
MOBILE: here is one regarding DESK TOPPIES ...certainly they are MOBILE.... under the monster CORELOGIC umbrella
The Columbia Institute [email protected]

Being very facetious ;)

"Old School" research for me indicates I likely require a TOO large tablet (old school eyes)
and then 2) bundling, dropping, breaking : the "higher dollar- necessary tools",
3) based on cost (software free) &
4) time-tasking learning curve (likely learn from the footprint of my own address),
5) AND estimating the time left in this career
...I am also considering LOL an Al-a-CORELOGIC course. More interested in something "new" than common sense.

I will check into that & post. CE if approved = interest.
Ditch the pen & paper. Learning curve is steep but not too long with regard to time necessary. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. A la mode courses are helpful. I applied for CE in NC and received it, so it was 2 birds/1 stone thing. If you are not tech savvy, take the course. You bring up high dollar devices but what is your time worth? You'll save X+ time using new technology that will 10 fold overcome the price of a broken device. Get a used device for $100. Do it.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I'm not sure about the particular presentation you mention but Alamode got their software classes approved for CE credit in NC a few years ago and it was the most beneficial CE I have ever taken in person or otherwise in almost 20 years, since I use Alamode. No old fogies regaling about the "time I did X,Y or Z" but beneficial stuff that improved my day to day appraisals. Not a paid endorsement.

Brian Cooper

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I live too far away to take the classes live. I've done their "free" online webinar. Of course, they are free with my level of subscription. I learned appraisal on a tablet, but I started valuation in 2000 on a clip board. I wouldn't call the learning curve too steep. I would recommend that you go in all the way. Get a bluetooth capable Disto (I use the cheaper D2 model with great results), and a 10 inch tablet. I use a Samsung Galaxy, and my trainer used an Ipad. We both prefer the Galaxy. It's easier to see in bright light, the interface is more intuitive, and it's cheaper. Buy a good case. I use Otterbox. I have used the same tablet in the field for 5 or 6 years with no issues. The Otterbox helps keep it dry in the rain, and it's more damage resistant. I'm careful with the tablet, but I don't treat it like an egg.

If you have the opportunity to take a live class, this is the one time where I would recommend that you do. I prefer to take education online, but being able to get and instructor to directly help with an issue would be a benefit.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I've been to 2 of Alamode classes. The last one was going paperless and they went over the mobile app.. I have been using it every since and am glad I have. It saves me 30 to 45 minutes per appraisal. I don't have to retype or redraw the sketch. Also, the physical characteristics are there, too. I highly recommend taking their classes.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Search Total for Mobile on YouTube and if you’re on Facebook join the Mobile Appraisers group. Even if you take the class I’m sure questions will pop up later and both are great resources for tips/tricks and workaround. IMO once you decide on your mobile device (phone, tablet, phablet) it‘s a matter of practice. Start with your own home, work through the process a couple of times and figure out what is best for you before you go live in the field, to many appraisers jump straight to a live inspection then get frustrated and give up. Good luck!

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks