• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Allied Business School Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat O\'Brien

Freshman Member
I am due for a change in career and have chosen to pursue the field of real estate appraisal. Has anyone heard of or have feedback about Allied Business School which is a home study course that once completed satisfies the state req 90 hours. Any feedback on home study vrs. in class.

Thank You

Pat O'Brien in Seattle

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Pat,

Unless you have a mentor lined up I strongly reccomend that you approach THAT end first and figure out the class stuff second...

I respectfully reccomend that you fully peruse the newbies forum, paying particular attention to the post by Doug Smith (sticky at the top) and some of the older posts on that forum, use the little page flippy at the BOTTOM of the titles page... to go back to the oldest posts where many folks very generously shared their opinions in great depth.

There is a great deal to consider, much of it negative, before getting involved in appraising at this time: the industry/profession is in a state of change and the players haven't sorted it all out yet...

Keep in mind that most of the doomsayers are NOT exaggerating, some of us have lived (barely) through some tough busts, and for some very specific reasons in industry change: computers are doing all the 'easy' work- and much of what USED to be bread and butter is all gone, leaving only the 'tough ones' for which newbies are least equipped. During the 94 bust my income got cut from comfortable to only 20% of comfortable. It was ugly, and required outside income to survive. I didn't mean my income dropped 20% btw, it dropped 80% of what had been getting us by.

Some of us anticipate that this upcoming bust is going to be the toughest yet... many are fleeing the business, but even though they leave sporadic gaps, there will be plenty of people with experience and full license to fill those gaps.

I will caution you that we are at the end of a atypically long boom, with what (historically) has been a really deep bust on it's way. To be an 'apprentice' (which pays peanuts for apprentices in the good times) at a time when the jorneymen are going hungry and the masters have lean plates is a tough go... BUT if forewarned you still decide to forge ahead...
~~~~
and finally in answer to your actual question:

My PERSONAL opinion of class time is that for beginning appraisers the AI or NAIFA group classes (which are pricy) are far superior to selfstudy. I find the self-study books I have seen to be woefully inadequate.

I honestly believe that the AI classes are superior interms of providing the solid grounding in appraisal theory, but require significant upfront cash and time commitment. (No Financial Interest btw - I am NOT a designated member :wink: ) I also believe that some of the NAIFA sponsored classes do a better job of some of the nuts and bolts practice! I DO reccomend geting involved with a professional group.

In addition to providing someone who can SEE you scratching your head when you don't 'get it' your class mates may be of use to you as peers, if you are the networking kinda person (I am not :wink: ). Paper mill classes and self study generally won't get you 1/10 of what you better know in order to get your self hired on as apprentice.

So thus your answer. I hope it helps!

Pat O\'Brien

Freshman Member
Lee Ann, Thank You for your insight. It sounds like a tough go out there. Ive read through a lot of the postings and Im sure many people out there have read a few of these and bagged the whole idea. Im not a quitter but I'm not ignorant either. I will begin my mentor search now, now, now. I read a lot of negative in the field but it seems to me that the people who have stuck it out through the good and bad are generally happy with their careers as well as themselves. There are all types of people. I am one of those who have excelled to the top in all the places I've worked, not by stepping on others but just by being me, being natural. I would still be working in a job I loved but I had a real bad traffic accident and without going into it too deep, I was out of work for about 3 years. Now, Im working at a job where there is only 4 employees, the boss loves my work, wants me to get certs in a couple of areas and spend the rest of my working life with them. Unfortunatly, I really dont like what Im doing, not to mention my body cant take it too long. I guess what I'm saying, good and the bad, It seems to me if I give it my all, I will succeed.
Thank You and I wish everyone a Awesome Day!!!
God Bless America

Pat O'Brien
Seattle Washington

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Pat,

I took Allied's appraisal course. I can say that I learned but I can't say that it made me ready to take the state test. I am currently cramming for that right now. What it does is qualify you to take the test.

Lee Ann is right, you need to find a supervisor early. Thankfully I found one who is a man of great integrity and is well know in our community for the quality of work that he does. I feel fortunate after reading some of the posts on the forum.
I mention the fact that you might want to find the Supervisor early because he may have some helpful advice to help you pass that state licensing test, and the more time you are able to spend doing appraisals with him (or following him while he does the appraisal), the more you are going to learn about the appraisal practice, and the more you are going to learn if you really like the profession or not.

I was out driving comps with my sup the other day and he was getting a kick out of answering some of the books questions. (Questions & Answers to help you pass the Real Estate Appraisal Exams, by Fisher and Tosh).

Good luck in your hunt for a Sup, and good luck in your career shift.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." :angel:
Proverbs 3:5-6

Joshua Fookes

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
My wife and I went through Allied. My wife couldn't pass the state exam after 5 tries, and gave up. I must admit, when you learn on your own just from book (allied) it is rough. The books you get (dare I say it,) give no help to passing the state exam. But they do help you know how to appraise and the test and appraising are VERY different. The class through allied is easy, but it makes the test that much harder. I received a disk from allied that had a mock exam and quizzes on it that were very hard. Taking those many times I believe helped me more on the exam than anything I read in the books from Allied. So to make a long story short, (Too late!) having someone to ask the questions you need to know, and teach both ends, the test and appraising, would be much more valuable.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Just wanted to add on from my last post. Since then I have taken my state test and YAHOO I passed!!!! First try.

the thing I did was read the book that I mentioned in my last post. It was quite helpful.

I took the CA test in Sacramento. Testing was all done on computer and was a great environment to take a test. no distractions.

There were lots of questions on statistics. More than I expected, so know what mean, median, mode, range, etc. are. There were a lot of USPAP questions, which should be gimmies they aren't that hard, just know the USPAP and you have no prob.

If you did well on the tests from allied, then take the tests in the afforementioned book, and learn the answers you get wrong, you should do well on the test.

Good luck

Josh

Leigh Lindsay

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Congratulations Josh! 8)

I'm taking my exam in Sac on March 22nd and have been studying about an hour each night since December. Have focused on the mock exam disk that Allied provided with the home correspondence course.

Most CA state exams test how well you can take a test, not what you actually know. What's up with that? I encountered this when I took the insurance agent exam quite a few years back....

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I will be celebrating my passing the test as well.

Leigh~ :wink:

Brian Bonham

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Yeah...how did you do?!?!?!
Any pointers?
Any surprises?

Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks