• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Always Trying To Reach Into Our Pockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mortgage broker calls me and says he needs a favor ("favor" is one of those buzz words that alerts you immediately). It seems I did an appraisal 2 years ago on
a property owned by a dentist. Now, the dentist is doing another refi and the broker did him a favor by charging less points .......therefore, I should charge less for the appraisal this time. Hmmm..."Ok, I'll take $10.00 off the fee for the building sketch (unless it changed)", which is followed by a long pause in the conversation. "What do you mean" ? ....."let me get this straight, you and I should work for less because the dentist wants a lower rate ? I have trouble following the logic of this ! Does your dentist friend give discounts to repeat customers" ???!!! Duh !!

These people have no shame. If I were a dentist and/or mortgatge broker I wouldn't have the gall to even bring the subject up. What's their problem ?

I really love this business :eyecrazy:

Robert M. Blaine

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
Several months ago when appraising a house for the third time....I had done it when it was purchased and then when it was refinanced about two years later. The third appraisal...about a year after the refinance... was for a divorce. The owner... who was a 737 charter pilot... asked it the appraisal would cost any less this time since I had appraised his house twice before.

I asked him if he charged any less to fly somewhere just because he had been there before and his reply was...touche'.

Mike Simpson

I take a slightly different approach...I'll give them the discount, but I've raised my rates slightly across the board as a result of these kind of request (I win in the long run--no complaints about fees so far--at least not from my regulars).

I've also read on this forum where some have a 'first come-first serve' policy. Again, I take a different approach. If I have a sale scheduled to close in 2 weeks or more, and a client calls with a 'rush' or 'favor,' I'll drop everything to accomodate them, however, I've gone back to charging rush fees.

-Mike

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
On the flip side, got a call "Can you go to Dallas to do XXXX street?" "Sure, after the 15th. Full up to then." "How about if we pay zzz?" "Sorry, still can't go to after the 15th. It's not the money, just can't do it." "O.K. We'll send you the order. BTW you can have the zzz fee anyway."

Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

Roger

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Roger!!

That's a refreshing call!

I'm so worn down by the 'what's your turn time??' 'Bout two weeks right now.'' "Can I have it earlier?? How about for an extra fee??? ", 'Not unless your extra fee could buy me an extra 24 hours this week. If you can do that, we have a deal." Dead silence..............................................'even with a rush fee?'

Cat drops the reciever and bangs her head on the desk.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Joe, you hit it right on the head.

It has been my experience that the only people who ask for a cut in the appraisal fee or any kind of discount are those who don't need it. You are appraising someone's recreational second home worth about $400,000 and on a lake. You did just a little over a year ago and now the owner wants to know if you'll knock some off the $300 bill because you did just a year ago. Now this guy is saving a full 1% on a $300,000 mortgage, $3000 per year or $250 per month and he is worried about my $300 bill?

Of course, I guess these folks did not get all of their bucks by being loose with them. Still, it does grind you sometimes when someone tries to nickle and dime you.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Robert M.,........Discount, Mr. Pilot ?......sure, but only if you order your appraisal at least 14 days prior to your desired date of my travel-visit to the property. Will you be sending me that payment check today, or will this be on your Visa or Master Card ? ......Your appraisal order confirmation number is ......

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Good one Ross!! :rofl:

Yes, that probably is the way the rich guy/gal keeps his boodle. The scrooge factor. Treats everyone like that.

If that's what it takes to be 'rich', then I'll happily remain a full fee for service paying middle classer. Comfortable middle class, pretty please, but not rich.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
B) IMHO,

The public, probably as a result of talking to the lender, holds appraisers in less regard than:

1. Utility company
2. Cable TV company
3. Department Store delivery person
4. Ad infinitum, ad nauseum

Why do I say that? Cause they will all take off work for any of the above but expect us to come to their property and do our job at their convienence. I now tell everyone that I will be at their property on a certain date, at a certain time. Oh, you can't be there. Gee, the next date I have open is 3 weeks from that date. Suddenly they find time to be there. Guess I am getting old and cranky. Heck, I have always been cranky, that's why I am an appraiser, not a real estate salesman. I have about as much patience with "well I work, I can't be there then" as I do with the idiots who come running out of their houses demanding to know why I am taking pictures. Called one an idiot today. Did he really think I was a terrorist who was casing the joint so I could blow up his 700 square foot house? Give me a break. Said he was calling the cops, good says I. Make sure you get my license plate number. Geshhhhhhhhh!

Almost time to retire.

Don

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Had one today.......
You just did an appraisal for ABC bank (my best client) on a 40 acre tract. I'm going to buy that tract from Mr. Moneybag. I want to use that appraisal, and go to XYX Bank (whom I have never done anything for). I also want you to appraise my other 300+ acres. Can you give me a break on the appraisal since you just did the 40 acres????
:huh: No.
:eek: Why not??
:rolleyes: Because I did an appraisal on a 159+ acre tract for MY client. Not just that 40 acre tract. If you want to do a new deal, that's a new appraisal.
<_< Well, can you get to it tommorrow?
:blink: No, I am booked out 2 weeks.
:eek: Oh, well...... I'll call back later.
B) Yeah, I am sure you will. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks