• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Am I Sol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High MT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Connecticut
I'm a trainee (13 months, 1500 hours completed). I have the worst Misdemeanor there is, Petit Theft. I made a costly mistake and shoplifted from Winco in 2009 with some buddies when I was in high school. I had just turned 18. I have a Business Management Bachelors, an Eagle Scout Award, but have never been in trouble with the law besides this. Expungement does not exist in the state that I live.

I'm in a great position to take over a successful appraisal business. On the 2 AMC applications I've seen, they word it like this: "Convicted of a felony or public offense as it relates to violence, THEFT, fraud, narcotics, property damage or a dishonest act?"

It will have been 9 years by the time I get my CRA, but am I SOL? Be honest please. Thank you guys.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
One CAN own an appraisal business and hire an Ethical Experienced Appraiser/Manager.

D

Deleted member 134708

They ain't gonna do a livescan, DOJ, FBI background check.

Check no. You're fine.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Is there a statute of limitations on these types of things?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Ask a lawyer, and if they say mark yes, then ask the board if that is necessarily a killer. I suspect they can waive it after a hearing.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
The question is state specific, so the only way to know for sure is to read up on the pertinent state statutes and to ask your state board. In my state (California) you could probably get by due to the circumstances of the offense (your age and the low degree of seriousness of your offense) and the length of time that has transpired since . Years ago, I knew one guy who had served time in a federal prison for some sort of drug traficking offense who got his license after a careful consideration by the state.

Had your offense involved breaking and entering or some form of burglary or violence then that probably would be a deal killer here, although I'm not sure. The distinction between burglary and minor shoplifting is that the state is assuming some liability if they issue a license to someone for an occupation that involves going into people's homes if that applicant has a history of breaking into people's property to do crimes.

I do not recommend lying under any circumstances because in some states - and maybe most states - telling a material lie in your application is grounds for denial (up front) of revocation (after the fact). Even if you get away with it the first time you might not be so lucky next time. If you're going to be disqualified it's better to find that out now before you invest all the time and energy into this occupation than to risk getting caught 10 or 15 years later.

High MT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Connecticut
I took some CD's and Toaster Streudels, literally. Stupid high school prank. As far as my state goes I'm fine. I can get my certification without issues.

But getting approved for lists to make money is what I'm inquiring about. The fine print on Solidifi's disclaimer says, "I release and authorize Solidifi to conduct a background check including a search of public record and relative information including financial, for verification of the information I provided as a part of this application."

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The truth will set you free. Checking a NO box is not the answer. You made a mistake but you also have a degree and were an Eagle Scout. Tell the truth always.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I took some CD's and Toaster Streudels, literally. Stupid high school prank.

Thanks for sharing.

Better than taking cold medicine because you wanted to cook up some drugs.

You will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks