• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Amazing What You Learn By Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
MLS didn't show any major defects, but MLS said sold "as is" - an estate. Sold for $30/SF - It was a ranch sprawl, where they added on a garage cut down below grade of the original house (built about 1965) and a upper level above garage for a split level then added to back...Most similar were selling for $60/SF...was on market for 9 months.

So I texted the selling agent whom I knew as a local who went to church with the family of the owners. He replied it had electrical and plumbing problems and that they had expanded the house so much that it covered the septic tank...which was now giving them problems. YUCK...

So one to keep in the lock box of oddities to evaluate for significant functional obsolescence...about $50,000 worth off the top of my head...Nice brick house and clean inside otherwise. I would never have guessed the problem from the MLS, but those "as is" remarks is a red flag to call and find out.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
can you find all that in Big Data ?

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
When it doesn't add up (i.e., no obvious reason why it won't "grid" like the rest), there's almost always an interesting or at least extraordinary story. Let me count the ways...

Salty

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Lesson #1 in appraisal school: always contact the broker/agent for every sale/listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks