• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AMC forcing me to take Cultural Compliancy Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert Craytor

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Going back to the allegations of appraiser misconduct, I think we could get an idea of the extent of the problem if we examined a sample of the appraisal reports themselves which didn't hit the contract price, breaking them down into 2 groups:

(lets say) 50 appraisals that came in below the contract value in impacted areas or involving protected classes of buyers or sellers

being compared to

50 Appraisals (from the same metro) that came in below the contract value in non-impacted areas AND involving non-protected classes of buyers or sellers

Limit the comparos to appraisals involving sale prices below the regional median so we don't get any examples of appraisers acting differently by price tranches (higher priced properties get rubber stamped more often than lower priced properties).

Then we can examine each of those appraisals to see
- if there are any objective errors of fact being asserted about the subject or the properties presented as comparables,
- if there are any objective indications that the dominant attributes of the subject and the comparables are being mischaracterized
- If the sales being presented as comparables really are among the most recent, similar and proximate as is being asserted in the appraisal
- if there are any inconsistencies from one comparable to another in how any adjustments are being applied

Whatever the error rates are (which I assume will not be zero) for each group can then be compared against each other. That will show WHAT those appraisers as a group are doing and the extent to which they're doing it differently by location or individuals involved.

After we figure out WHAT those appraisers are doing THEN we can start to make otherwise unsupported assumptions about WHY they're doing it. What their motivations and triggers are. We still won't have completely identified the extent of the actual problem but we'll be a lot closer to doing so that the militants who are working backwards off the outcomes and automatically attributing everything to illegal conduct by appraisers.

I'm afraid that really doesn't prove a thing.

This is what you have to do.

1. Select a broad area for analysis that includes all racial groups, such as the Silicon Valley.
2. Make everyone submit to DNA analysis to determine their true racial heritage. See, most Americans are a mixture of just about everything. And even those coming up from Mexico and the rest of South America are a mixture of Spanish, Indian, Black and many other nationalities.
3. Collect data on the languages they speak
4. Get their religion.
5. Get their true gender; understand Facebook says there are 16 genders. So, that must somehow be standardized.
6. All the other usual data like age and so on.
7. Then search all the past sales transactions for the area with a good regression tool and try to find a significant correlation between race or some other of the above features and sale price and appraised values (yes you are going to have to have a history of all appraised values).
8. Don't forget average annual income.
9. Let the regression also regress on area/neighborhood.

I would bet you will find that race is insignificant compared to (1) Income, (2) Area/Neighborhood.

It's all nonsense. A lot of foreigners have the most expensive homes in California. Hispanics, Muslims, Chinese, Iranians, Slavs, etc., more or less have homes that reflect their social status and income. If market values in an area are low, then house prices are low. If there is racial discrimination, then you need to search for it in an area with similar homes and regress against race.

When I do my regression and study the residuals, I find differences, - but they can nearly all be tied to Quality/Condition/Aesthetics/Functional Utility/View. In fact, I don't have the time to check on the race of the owners, and that of course is in fact difficult to do with any accuracy.

Where does all the stupidity come from? My gosh. We have idiots everywhere in our society. Especially DC.

Fernando

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Fernando, Apparently you have not heard the News. The State of New York Election Rules are more Strict than Georgias New election rules.

Thats a Fact, NY does not allow Food and Drink in the Line. The Other one is Georgia Time period to Vote is Longer than the Communist State of NY.

So if Georgia is a Racist State. Then NY must be a Super Racist State.
I don't know your logic.
First, if New York's election rules are as bad as Georgia's than it should be called out.
Second, just because another state let's say has slaves, does it make it right for your state to have slaves? There are moral and ethical questions one need to consider from laws passed.
You need to take the class.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
AMCs don't make loans. AMC don't service ALL homes in America. I don't make loans at all. I don't care about the Fox nation (which exists only in your mind). I appraise homes, not people. Who lives there, who is buying, who is selling doesn't matter because I am appraising an object not a human being. You probably need this class solely because you can't look at your own pastor without seeing color or think that there is actually a thing as a Fox nation which only exists in your biased mind.
AMC makes loans to all homes in America. Fox advertise their viewers as part of Fox Nation. Tribalism at its best.
Those who are brainwashed from their bias views will need to hold back from their views. They don't know what they say can be interpreted culturally insensitive.
A culturally trained class will prevent us from having racist optics.
From some alleged racist appraisers in the news, the appraisers and the client are being accused of being racist. The client/lender is dragged into the allegation.
We live in a litigious society. Clients want to protect themselves since lenders have deeper pockets.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
What are you talking about. They added more precincts. No excuse absentee ballots. Added early voting day. Extended voting hours. You need to quit parroting talking points
There are some good parts of the Georgia's law but also bad parts. I don't understand why they can't get rid of the "racist" part if Georgia really wanted to do election reform.

bluechip

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
Proud GA resident. The new election/voting law is fantastic. Hopefully this will curb the fraud. Yes there was fraud. Don't cancel me. It's not racist. As a matter of fact it's less strict than sleepy joes state.
Now back to the original topic of discussion in regards to the DE&I. This is my conclusion and why appraisers should be vocal: Race and gender are irrelevant in the appraisal process...
I don't give a rats *** what you look like. What I do want is the most qualified to perform the assignment.

IE: United Airlines said they want to become more diverse because they need a visual perception. WHO GIVES A CRAP. I don't know about y'all but I want the most qualified flying the plane. I find this to be extremely disturbing that instead of placing the most qualified applicant into the position of flying the big taxi in the sky they will provide that opportunity to someone with subpar skills due to the need of being woke. Really makes me question my next flight with WOKE decisions like that.

Pandering to the PC culture doesn't seem like a very wise decision. Not when you have the responsibility of caring for so many lives at 25,000-40,000 above sea level. Let that sink in.

Rick Phillips

Professional Status
State
District of Columbia
I will not say the name of the company, and I have been working as a vendor for 10 years. They have a performance report that has a specific category for behavior which I have ranked at the top for those 10 years. There was no incident that would require this, just something they are doing company wide.

Today I logged on their site to upload an appraisal and a splash screen came up telling me that all their staff has taken this course and they want all their vendors that are representatives of their company to take it. They started out sort of sort and then said it was a requirement.

I will go on record as saying in this area of Florida I have appraised over the last 28 years property for all sorts of people regardless of their sex, sexual orientation or race and never once said anything to anyone that would be deemed anything but professional. I am a Conservative , Christian, and I believe in what I believe in, however when I appraise a property, it is the property I am appraising and not the person's sex, sexual orientation. race or religious affiliation.

I have been in this business 28 years and I have made a good living without being "woke".

I guess I am asking everyone's opinion and allowing myself to vent. What does this have to do with appraising?

I'd take the class and then report back, whether it was a waste of time or you learned something (anything at all) new, and whether you will do anything differently than before. You can always drop the AMC afterwards if you want.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
There are some good parts of the Georgia's law but also bad parts. I don't understand why they can't get rid of the "racist" part if Georgia really wanted to do election reform.
OK, we are making some progress. There is some hope now that you are recognizing State Rights. If I conducted a Deep Dive Analysis of Each States Election Process it probably would reveal the need for a lot of improvement in all states.

This article is fairly good but even it has holes and you and I could come up with Pros and Con's. Your continuous 'Racist' tagging of anything you don't agree with is diminishing/diluting what that word really means. https://www.factcheck.org/2021/04/factchecking-claims-about-the-georgia-voting-law/

So there are two Extreme ways to establish Voting Rules; Wide open Katy Bar the Door or Strict inflexible one Day to Vote in Person. Somewhere in between will be required to establish some reasonable order. No system or set of Rules will be perfect. The closest we may get will be Voting via Smart Phone/Desktop or any location you might be at on Election Days. Even that has issues. I can just hear it now! "Areas of the Country don't have reliable or any access to the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks