• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

An Informed Borrower......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
Doing a COD Appraisal this afternoon, before I do the inspection, I verify that they remember the COD fee, and the husband starts to give me some $hit about it, "sure, just tell us what you will appraise the house for, and we will pay you" and then his wife hands me the certifed check for the right amount, and smiles, and says to him, (and I'm sure my eyes bugged out)

"stop that, he'll do his job, give the appraisal to the mortgage company, and when they have it, we will know what it appraised for"

I asked her if she was in the business, but she said no, she just thought that was how it was done.....

I never thought I'd see the day......perfect way to have the last appointment on a Friday go.......

Just thought I'd put a good story up to try to counteract some of the bad ones

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Had a similar one today. It's nice to have people who realize how things work and are informed. :D

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
The only way one avoids the possible uncomfortable vibes from such a scenario as your's ......is when the client who hires us has already sent us our fee in advance. Of course, we are a long way from that ever being standard operating procedure. Fortunately, the guy's wife was the buffer for the moment. I probably would have said that "Visiting your house is just the start of a much longer process. Now I have to do the market data analysis and write up the report. But, I promise, I will conclude a value for your home that is honest and protect's YOUR interests. I am certain you want an honest valuation on YOUR home, right ?".......And, I look him right in the eyes as I say "your" home. Of course, I am smiling a little as I say that, and I am turning for the door at that moment to indicate that there is not much more to debate about it.

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
I agree whole heartedly. One other line that my clients all know and use is they tell the homeowner
:unsure:
" WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T P*** OFF THE APPRAISER "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks