• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Analysis of sales contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Utah
At the risk that this topic may have been beaten to death with previous posts – let me ask this question. WHY does USPAP require that we analyze all agreements of sale as of the effective date of the appraisal, if such information is available in the normal course of business? In addition, HUD requires the analysis, without exception. If on the other hand, the appraiser was prohibited from knowing anything about the current agreement of sale, wouldn’t that solve much of the problem of advocacy?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Analyzing the sales contract does not create advocacy. The primary purpose of such analysis to determine if any concessions or personal property is included in the sale. There are those who would say..."knowing the sale or contract price could bias the appraiser"...and they could be right.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
USPAP requires the analysis of the contract under the assumption that an appraiser will adhere to all USPAP requirements including all of the Ethics Rule.

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
Mike,
Our appraisal should not include any personal property, so why do we need to know about it unless it affects market value. Same with concessions -- do they affect market value??

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Analyzing the sales contract does not create advocacy. The primary purpose of such analysis to determine if any concessions or personal property is included in the sale. There are those who would say..."knowing the sale or contract price could bias the appraiser"...and they could be right.

Wouldn't there be similar bias concerns after checking for concessions or personal property? The final value opinion should be the same no matter the contract price, concessions or personal property involved.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
See above....because it is a requirement of USPAP. I didn't write it, just adhere to it!

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
See above....because it is a requirement of USPAP. I didn't write it, just adhere to it!

Agreed. Sometimes on a slow day we like to debate the "why" questions, and try to get a peek behind the curtain...

Last edited:

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Because USPAP was written for the lenders, and the lenders can't be bothered with analyzing the contract themselves, so they want us to do it for them, and take on the liability for it as well.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Slow day? Did an inspection this morning, doing a reconsideration on a VA sale...Builder had another sale the agent didn't bother to tell me about and wasn't on MLS. Probably will change my value conclusion.

Received an FHA assignment at 9:00am $375 fee
Received an ERC assignment at 1:00pm $675 fee
Receiving a VA assignment right now $350 fee

Sure is slow around here!

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
As to the WHY, I see several possible reasons. 1) Sales price and concessions do affect market value. 2) Sales price and concessions may reflect market value. Assuming that the buyer has looked at comparable properties and offered a reasonable price. 3) The authors of the USPAP document want the lenders to make a many deals as possible, but they still want someone to blame if anything goes wrong. This way we have a target value to work towards. 4) Maybe it has always been done that way and they didn’t want a change.

I am not intimating that any of these reasons are correct – just possibilities.

Any other ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks