• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Another Backup Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
We had a long discussion about backups and I just found something that I think will work for me. First I really liked the idea of the external Hard drive but it just isn't a good solution for me for a couple of reasons. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he suggested something I had overlooked and it was so simple. A removable Hard Drive tray.

This fits in your computer case in a 5.25" drive (like CD's) and uses a standard IDE HD. You simply plug it in, backup and take it out. The drive bay is only $29. A hard drive is less than $100 making it cheaper and faster than an external drive. Like the USB's it can go in the glove box of you car or where ever you want to store it off site.

If you have to hire a techie to install it then it might cost the same as a USB drive or more? But it works for me!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Cool idea, but I don't think I'd store the HD in my car or glove box. Too hot in the summer time in GA...... the little HD might not like that. :eek:nfire:

David Mullen

Jeff

Do you know if the connectors will wear out quickly if the drive is moved in and out daily or at least frequently?

I have also wondered if anyone makes a similar setup but one that is connected to USB instead of being internal?

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
DAVE,

Kangru(and others now) use any port-USB,parallel, ide,firewire & pcmcia.

Each one is about $40, so a parrallel for old computer and a USB will do about all the computer in my office.

Tiger sells them.

On the old computers, you can only format the max at the time the bios was written.

Happy bytes.ed

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Why not just burn all your backup files, whatever type, to a CD-ROM?
Months of work and financial records etc will fit on 1 CD. B)
Easy to store anywhere. make multiple copies if you like.
Cheap media.... What could be better? :D

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
Other thing, there are internet website that sell storage space.

If you want real protection beside your backup, internet storage
is the best. Why because your house may burn and you loose all
your files. But internet storage are very well protected and
secure, because I work before in a place where they offered it.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I use a Storix 20 gig external hard drive on a USB port. VERY simple to use. Around $129.00.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Is..."everything was lost in the fire" a legal excuse? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Lee in L.A.@Jun 9 2003, 09:33 PM
Why not just burn all your backup files, whatever type, to a CD-ROM?
Months of work and financial records etc will fit on 1 CD.
I do a LOT more with my computer than just Appraising. I have music, graphics, web sites, achitectual drawings etc. on there. I have 2 Gigs of data to I back up. DATA not programs. Thats why. Plus if I simply mirror my hard drive with Ghost I just replace a failed one and I am back in buisiness.

And that is why I don't want online storage. Just to much data. And I am not sure I trust my data in someone elses hands.

David Wrote:
Do you know if the connectors will wear out quickly if the drive is moved in and out daily or at least frequently?

I have no idea but at $30 it's pretty cheap to replace if it wore out in a couple of years. I don't intend to back up but maybe once a week. I back up my accounting files very regular however! I have lost them and the backup disk twice now. I am not going to do that again!

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Ken in Arkansas@Jun 10 2003, 05:56 AM
I use a Storix 20 gig external hard drive on a USB port. VERY simple to use. Around $129.00.
Thats a good option Ken however it doesn't work for me. I don't have USB 2.0 and no card slots left. Mine is CRAMMED full of cards.

Do you store you backup off site? Do you leave it connected to the computer? If you answer no to either of those you could still loose all the data. Fire or lighting strike could do it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks