• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Another One For The State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
It's getting VERY frustrating in my parts. Two in the past month or so..... both are manufactured trouse...... both appraised as a "Ranch"!
:angry: :rolleyes:
#1 discloses it as being manufactured, but states the appraisers opinion is that it has similar appeal as a site built home....... due to the good quality additions. I disagreed <_< . It looks like a trouse, with a second story addition.... not pretty.

Now in comes #2. Different appraiser, and this time it's an old trailer, wrapped in framing. It does like a "ranch" from the outside. But a check of tax records indicates it's a trailer that has been "wrapped". Even has the serial numbers on the tax card!

# 1 I ripped the appraisal apart and sent it in basically saying that I do not agree. # 2 I'm contemplating sending it in to the state..... because the public records data was flat out ignored. Border line fraud?? This will create big waves, and I already am not on real good standings with the local Deal-A-Tors. Anyway, pray for me...... this is not going to be pretty.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Something like that I would definately send in to the state. Doesn't sound like the 'locals' can do you much more harm for being honest.

Travis McGee

WOW!! TOUGH JOB HUH? I WONDER IF THE TAX RECORDS WERE MAYBE IGNORED OR NOT UPDATED? SOMETIMES TAX RECORDS ARE WRONG AND NEED UPDATED. HAVE YOU TRIED TO CALL TAX OFFICE AND FIND OUT THE LAST TIME THEY ASSESSED THE PROPERTY? I WOULD VERIFY WITH THEM FIRST JUST SO I WOULD KNOW THIS WAS A BLATANT ERROR ON THE APPRAISERS PART

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I WOULD VERIFY WITH THEM FIRST JUST SO I WOULD KNOW THIS WAS A BLATANT ERROR ON THE APPRAISERS PART
Yeah, I plan to do that. They closed yesterday for the holidays before I could really research that far. I know the assessor personally, and he is sharp as a tac, so I DO trust his data. Will be interesting, will find out Tuesday. All in the fun of it. :)

Until then, gotta go...... the lake is calling me. :beer:

Travis McGee

Originally posted by ANTHONY ALLEN@Aug 30 2003, 12:48 PM
WOW!! TOUGH JOB HUH? I WONDER IF THE TAX RECORDS WERE MAYBE IGNORED OR NOT UPDATED? SOMETIMES TAX RECORDS ARE WRONG AND NEED UPDATED. HAVE YOU TRIED TO CALL TAX OFFICE AND FIND OUT HTE LAST TIME THEY ASSESSED THE PROPERTY? I WOULD VERIFY WITH THEM FIRST JUST SO I WOULD KNOW THIS WAS A BLATANT ERROR ON THE APPRAISERS PART
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convience, But where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Travis McGee

Originally posted by ANTHONY ALLEN@Aug 30 2003, 12:48 PM
WOW!! TOUGH JOB HUH? I WONDER IF THE TAX RECORDS WERE MAYBE IGNORED OR NOT UPDATED? SOMETIMES TAX RECORDS ARE WRONG AND NEED UPDATED. HAVE YOU TRIED TO CALL TAX OFFICE AND FIND OUT HTE LAST TIME THEY ASSESSED THE PROPERTY? I WOULD VERIFY WITH THEM FIRST JUST SO I WOULD KNOW THIS WAS A BLATANT ERROR ON THE APPRAISERS PART
:blink:

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I do not know you and I certainly do not know all the facts concerning the reports you claim were poorly done. However, I have to honestly say the tone of your post strongly hints of bias. You start your post off by stating
It's getting VERY frustrating in my parts. I'm doing a lot of reviews on several good 'ole boys.... and girls... appraisers. Two ole' local banks don't use me (I'm not from around here.... no in-breading)

Then you say:
No wonder I don't get any work from these local yocals.

And then:
I already am not on real good standings with the local Deal-A-Tors

It sound as though you have an ax to grind with these guys and gals. Again, you, of course, can do what ever you want but I have serious reservations on recommending you turn these people in on the information presented. Is it possible you are just looking for issues to start something? Again, I mean no offence and believe what I am presenting is constructive criticism. If you are going to turn someone in, I think it would be better to stick to the facts rather than personally attacking those involved. You tend to lose credibility when you attack them personally.

Steve Vertin

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm pounding these wobbly-box appraisers down here. What the lender wants is what the appraiser gives them. However, I personally know the regional FNMA head of the bad loan section and do a lot of bad loan reviews for Freddie. However....the state recently took one of these guys to task for bad appraisals (read that $125K on a $75K home). USPAP course and $1500 fine. Slap on the wrist. So much for state reviews.

Roger

David C. Johnson

Holly Bat Droppings, Mel !

What a Mess ! :D

As a former residential appraiser, I'm 'fraid I'll have to agree with your post and your tenor, but I do sorta understand where Steve's coming from too.

Question:

"Manufactured" = modular or "mobile home" / "duberwide" for the first homestead in your original post?

dcj

PS.

Hey -- I do have a small bone to pick with ya though:

Look here, Didn't you write something like:

"(I'm not from around here .... no in-breading)"

WELL EXCUuuuSE ME! :angry:

Never quite figered you for one of them High-Falutin City Boys! -- Atlaner, right?! Sin Sity.

Now I know where-n all these here new fangled IDs a coming from like our own female-types around these parts that'll give it to a stranger -- and not even her own kin folk!, and such. :D

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Steve ... David, In the height of my frustration, I ranted on about the smug attitude received, but totally screwed up by reciprocating the stereotyping. Post modified, and thanks. My course has been corrected.

This is one of about a dozen in recent months I have seen in MLS, where I knew better. Did do a couple jobs in the past, then decided that I was not so sure about those lenders....... have seen some weird deals. Actually, I liked this appraiser..... then I started getting reviews and telling my client's to not lay any money out. But this one takes the cake. I can disagree with an opinion and move on, but to cover up or miss something like a trouse..... and call it a gool lil' ranch? :rolleyes:

David,
Like Bucks, I'll call it like I see it.... Trailer :p
Hotlanta?? :alien: Please....... I drive through, but keep the window rolled up. :p Just know Atlaner well because we had to spend many moons at the Shriner's Hosptial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks