• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Another unpaid invoice, need suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermind 3

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Well, I know I should've required COD on this one, but it was for a loan officer in the office of my best client. I did 2 appraisals for them, finally got paid on 1 of them and have been trying to get a check on the other one.

I have several email replies from them stating they would ahve the Borrower send me a check directly or they themselves would fed ex a check, but, of course nothing yet.

Now she is avoiding my calls and emails. So, to all those who have been successful in collecting in similar circumstances, what works best, before, I file in small claims court.

By the way, I no longer get much business from their office at all and care more about getting the invoice paid first, anyway.

Heath Boyles

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
Man that sucks. I like doing appraisal work. Worring about the money is the last thing I want to working about.

I had a LO in Cali who ordered an appraisal in my coverage area. I went back and forth for months. Finally, after a year and a couple conversations with the owner of the company they paid. I keep the envelope they sent the check to me in on my MLS map just as a reminder to be diligent.

That was several years ago. Now, I would eighter forgive the debt, and be thankfull for the work they do send you, or take it to the extreme and sue them!

Good luck

Siggy

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I started using a collection agency. Email me for more info on them. I don't think it's appropriate to "advertise" them in this space.

Appraiser
siggy
at live dot com

But I had a few that were REALLY frustrating. Same story, "....It's coming, it's coming..." then nothing.

When I finally realized nothing was EVER coming, I contacted an agency. Most take about 35%, the one I use is only 23%, but I just add on late fees and collection costs, so I get about my normal amount due.

I've used them on three so far, got paid on every one. Even if I don't get the full fee due to me, SOME is better than NONE! Just make sure you fire the client.

Good Luck!

Nevermind 3

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
What really bugs me, is that I require COD on everything and have for a while, except for a very few specific longterm, good clients, whom I have built up a trust with. It is just that I had a lapse of judgement on this one. And her childish attitude is what really is bothering me.

I have an order form, filled out by her, as well as emails stating that she will send a check (basically, admitting she owes me), and then she ignores it all. I am planning on contacting her broker, show is the one ultimately responsible, as far I understand, and then file in small claims court. Any other suggestions?

Dirty Harry

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Now, I would eighter forgive the debt, and be thankfull for the work they do send you, or

Why in the world would you be thankful for doing work that they don't pay you for? :shrug:

That makes no sense at all. :Eyecrazy:

Those are the type of clients that you drop like a hot potato! And you go after them like a rabid dog for the money they owe you! :new_snipersmilie:

Just my 2-cents!

:peace:

Heath Boyles

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
Well if one bad LO stiffs you on an appraisal, why not do work for the others in the company who take care of you?

Better to pick up and and move on than stew over unpaid work, ehh? Maybe Donn doesn't have a family to support.

Tom Eichholz

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Kansas
Thru the years I have sent faxes, regular mail, and E-mails to slow pay or deadbeat lenders for collection.

Within those short, but polite letters, I always made mention that this matter will be turned over to our attorney----and like most people, they don't want to deal with attorneys!!!:
-----------------------------------------
03/01/08

Attention: ABC LOAN SHARKS-Accounting Dept.

This is a Collection Letter.

Full payment for the appraisal requested by ABC Loan Sharks, ordered by Loan Officer Mr. John F. Screwem on 12/31/2007, and performed by XYZ Appraisal Co. on 01/02/08, for the Subject Property address of 123 Main St, OKC, OK, owned by Mr. & Mrs F.U. Scheister, ABC-LS file #123456789, is past due as of the date of this collection letter.

A balance of $350, plus a $25 late fee is past due and payable.

If full payment is not received within 10 Business Days, this matter will be turned over to our attorney for collection.

Sincerely,

Big Willy

Have had a 99% Success Rate. The one that called my bluff, I did collect on after my attorney really DID send them a letter. (Cost me $75).

Dirty Harry

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Well if one bad LO stiffs you on an appraisal, why not do work for the others in the company who take care of you?

Better to pick up and and move on than stew over unpaid work, ehh? Maybe Donn doesn't have a family to support.

Hi Heath,

Business is business, whether I am supporting my family or just myself.

This is a perfect case for COD only for mortgage brokers. The only billable clients I have are FDIC insured institutions.

I hate collections; I understand it can be a part of some business models. But I changed my "SOP" 1.5 years ago. Going "COD" only with these guys cuts out the collections problem.

Not letting them get away with stiffing you is just good business sense.

My business model is simple "Work and get paid".

Have great weekend. It's record-breaking heat in this part of the U.S. Thank god for AC!

:peace:

BOBBYGINE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Pray they don't have a california lenders license. In my book this license is guarantee that problems will come. SCUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks