• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Another Windows XP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I am running XP on my laptop with no problems, and am thinking about switching from 98 to XP on my desktop. I have never upgraded an OS on a PC before, and am wondering how well the upgrades work. Is it better to re-format the hard drive and start over, or do the upgrade versions work as well? I don't have the desire or time to start everything from scratch, so I only want to switch if I can install the upgrade version. BTW, in regards to the other thread, Athena works great with XP.

Thanks for any advice.

Neil (Texas)

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Switched from WinME to WinXP without any glitches. However, there may be some issues upgrading from Win98 to WinXP. Check some of the user groups for input.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Michael

I've found that things work better with a new install. If you have room you could add a second drive and install xp on it. Or you can set up a dual boot configuration.
If interested let me know and I will send some web-links that have great info about doing this.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
George,

That would definitely be appreciated. My e-mail is [email protected]
Or, you can put them directly on this thread if that is easier.

Thanks

Michael

Professional Status
State
Florida
George,

I'd be interested in the same Web links you mentioned to the previous poster, but would prefer to see them on the Forum.

Thomas N. Morgan
Ocala, FL

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Is it better to re-format the hard drive and start over, or do the upgrade versions work as well?

My tech assures me that loading over the top of 98 will leave some squirrels in the OS. He said you might never know for weeks until something quirky happens. Also said often have to reload printer and Adobe software after upgrading.

ter

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I like the phrase, Terrel ..

It's always good practise to re-format and re-load any version of WinDoze, as it appears to be designed to leave those lil squirrels (or chipmunks) in any version of WinDoze ..

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
This thread answered some of the questions that I had.....I want to treat myself to a new computer this winter and was going to install XP - I now run 98.

I also have two computers networked to mine (the host) with a "switch" and they have 98 on them. Does anyone have any experience with a setup where the host is XP and leaving the two networked ones 98? Or should I reformat them to XP?

Whenever I have upgraded or changed computers, my computer guy simply stores the data in one of the networked computers, then moves it back to the host when it is set up. I am too too chicken to try all of this on my own!

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Judy,

I've actually had dos programs/dos-based computer linked to WinDoze servers .. you'll have no problem. Here have Win98SE laptop linked w/WinDoze2kPro server via wireless network ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks