• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Any boarders or skiers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan702

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
For xmas I bought myself a new Burton board, bindings and boots a couple weeks ago. Before 2 weeks ago I had only ever skied or boarded each 1 time. I figured since I live in Lake Tahoe and literally just blocks from Heavenly I better learn. So for the last 2 weeks almost every morning I get up and head over to Heavenly for about 1-2 hours and make some runs. It has been awesome learning to board! I was apprehensive about learning as I am 35yrs old and out of shape and afraid to break anything, but it has whipped me into shape pretty quickly. The wife and I have been getting up, eating breakfast and head out the door at 8:15am every morning for about 10 days now and are on the lift at 8:30am when they open. If I didn't live just 5 minutes from my door to Heavenly's parking lot I probably wouldn't have done it. Living so close has made it much more enjoyable as it has turned into just a morning workout basically. I can get out and get some exercise and be home and showered and out the door by 11am for inspections. A couple of days I headed back out for some night boarding. I am almost brave enough to go and try the jumps, rails, pipes, etc. I am thinking another week or so and I will try some of the smaller jumps.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Used to do competitive water skiing, but that was BC (before children). :icon_lol:

Ward Dresser

Professional Status
State
California
Must be nice to live so close to the slopes. :new_smile-l: We live about 50 miles from Boreal, relatively easy drive on 80. Santa brought my ten year old son a board and he loves it. I have not skied in ~10 years till last year. Did better than I thought. Went again last weekend and had a blast. Did pretty well for 50! Too old to learn boarding, but love skiing.

Glad the mountains finally got some snow. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Used to do competitive water skiing, but that was BC (before children). :icon_lol:

I could never water ski. I always did the splits.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Must be nice to live so close to the slopes. :new_smile-l: We live about 50 miles from Boreal, relatively easy drive on 80. Santa brought my ten year old son a board and he loves it. I have not skied in ~10 years till last year. Did better than I thought. Went again last weekend and had a blast. Did pretty well for 50! Too old to learn boarding, but love skiing.

Glad the mountains finally got some snow. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

I figured I wouldn't get hurt as bad learning boarding vs. skiing. :D I used to surf growing up in Huntington Beach and skate board. So they said the snow board would be easier. For me it wasn't. I had a hard first few days getting used to having both feet locked onto the board. I have brusies still from the first few days on both sides of my body. Mostly as the snow at first was man made and hard as a rock, but with the last couple storms we have plenty of powder now and it is supposed to snow 2 more days this week.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Personal Injury.

I was apprehensive about learning as I am 35yrs old and out of shape and afraid to break anything, but it has whipped me into shape pretty quickly.

AFLAC!!! My husband is a police officer but he loves to Snow Board too - he got Aflac just in case he gets hurt snowboarding. He was sponsored by K2 snowboards when he was a teenager, but he's not 17 anymore! (Actually, he'll be 30 in 2008, much to his dismay...)

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Did a lot of cross country sking for years. But never down hill as such. I would do good on the bunny hill at best.

Then in 1986 I told my son and one of the ski instructors that if they could get my draft team on a set of down hill skis I would learn. One monrning early before the slopes open at Silver Creek. My son got me out to the lodge early. There at the top of the ski left stood RK and JR standing. Each on a 2 x 8 made into a pair of skies with the teamsters and swampers getting ready to lead them. Sure enough they got them to move at 20 ft. You had to call it sking. So I spent that winter learning how to down hill ski. My son would make the black diamonds double and triple look like the bunny hill.

I thought I was getting good towards the end of the season, so I thought I would catch some air and try some jumping. Nope, it was back to the drawing board. Man that snow is hard when you land on your ***.

Water sking I grew up on upper Bull Shoals Lake, Taneycomo Lake and what was the new Table Rock Lake, has some friends whos dad owned a wooden Chris Craft inboard. That boat could sure sail over the water. We water skied every few days in the summer. Went swiming up Swan and Beaver Creeks. Did a lot of noodle'n in those days as well.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Grew up water skiing, learned to slalom the first day I ever put on a pair. Lost one and put my foot on the back of the ski and kept getting it. I have skied on surfboards and stood up and skied upright on knee boards before they invented wakeboards. We used to do flips on the kneeboard, barefoot ski etc before it became mainstream. Wish I was a younger man, I would have a ski boat with a tower for wakeboarding.

I still snow ski when I can, but its a minimum of 3.5 hours drive to a little mountain. I split time now skiing or snowboarding when I can get there, different muscles, so when you get tired doing one, you can switch and last a little longer.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
We have a great ski hill in town, so I ski a couple times per week. Started when I was 3.

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Re; See & ski

Grew up water skiing... Wish I was a younger man, I would have a ski boat with a tower for wakeboarding.
===========
Ditto, except;
I am still a younger man[1955], but simply outgrew the water ski scene.Sold my bass boat, miss slightly Nickajack & Chickamauga bass fish on ,TN river.Probably never outgrow hunting & bird feeding.Cool

Walked about 3 hours today , nice sceney, qauil sometimes,whitetail deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks