• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Any body bitten by dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I've been appraising 10 years. No dog bites, yet, thank goodness. I have a friend who has been appraising 30+- years. Never bitten until 2+- years ago. Got bit by a dog outside. Then he went inside and a parrot bit him on the shoulder. After 30 years, guess he had it comin LOL. Any of you ever been bit by dog and what did you do?

spettifer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I was on a narrow side of the house were a nice sweet looking Scottish Terrier was in his dog house. The owner said 'oh he won't bite" I had to turn my back to get the tape at the end of the wall. As soon as a turned my back the dog came out and bite me on the leg and went right back to his dog house looking as innocent as can be. I was pissed and it hurt like hell. The owner did not believe the dog bit me until I showed him the blood. The moral of the story is don't trust sweet looking little dogs when the owner say they don't bite....

Scott

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I have seen it in the MLS soooo many times: "sweet dog, won't bite".
Like Scott, it was a "sweet" dog that I fed my MLS key. It fit nicely into the back of his mouth. 8O Hope he had fun when it came out. :lol:

Wonder if agents ever thought that they might be some liability in that claim. I would rather let the HO make that statment, not in my listing or advertisements.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Twice in almost 12 years. Once by a dalmation, right in front of the owner. I had alrady been in the back yard once to take the rear picture and actuually played baal with the dog. When I came back around with a tape measure, the dalmation decided he did not remember me when I said "Hi" he chomped on my hand.

The second time really made me angry. I will not turn my back on any dogs. A neighbor dog came under the fence slithered up on his stomach and bit me on the back of the leg. He then slithered of with his belly on the ground. It hurt, but I was more mad that I let him sneak up on me.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
<span style='color:brown'>Two short stories about dogs.....neither while i was appraising.

When I was manager of an Overhead Door Company, I went to check a garage where a replacement door was being ordered. Due to distances (SE New Mexico) I tried to make ure everything was ready so we could minimize travel times. Guy at the door told me the garage was out back. I drove around, pulled up to the garage. Stepped out (thankfully it was summer) of the truck, when a shepherd came at me.....low and growling. I looked around and saw the owner standing at the kitchen door laughing. I reached onto the seat, pulled out my 357, leveled and cocked it and told the owner that if he wanted to keep the dog he had better call him off. Needless to say the owner was angry, but he did call off the dog......we never did install that door.....I told the owner the dog would have to be removed and the half ton of dogs*** would have to be removed from the garage as well. We never heard from him again.

Second story,

I was buying some steel for portable fence panels I was making for a rancher friend. I walked around the corner of a rack in the steel yard and heard a low growl. Turning I saw a tied police dog approaching with his hackles up. I then noticed the chain was just barely touching the ground, so the dog could only advance another foot or two, and I was a good 8 to 10 feet away. As I started to turn around and resume my shopping, the dog hit the end of the chain......and it broke. I was too close to get away from him so I got down on one knee and started calling him...."here boy, come here".......the dog was as surprised as I was about the chain, started to wag his tail, came to me, and I scratched his ears and head and gradually moved towards the chain.....I wired the chain back together with a piece of tie wire on the ground then went into the job shack and told the owner they needed to fix the chain....that I had tied him up again after he got loose. They could not believe I didn't get bit........every time I went back to that yard, I would go up to the dog and scratch him........anyone else go near him and he would try to bite them......funny how some animals are.</span>

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:lol:
Greg:
Dog's point of view: I hate everybody and everything EXCEPT that nice Greg guy who cut me loose from the nasty chain 8O and pet me in the bargain <picture doggie smooches>.

No surprise if you look at the 4 legged critter pov.

For those who don't knoW your choices are when threatened by a dog are either to dominate or to act VERY submissive. You usually have to make the choice FAST cause their furry little brains don't take well to confusion, and if confused a lot of them will agressively demonstrate thier distaste for confusion.

Do NOT stare at the animal, unless you have already been accepted aas dominant it is considered a threat by the 4 legged contingent, and be careful out there.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
I got one like that. I was in the back yard facing the rear of the house and backing up so I could get a good look at the roof. All of a sudden I hear this strange noise....its a heavy chain dragging on the ground. I looked around just in time to some big ol' dog coming at me. I think I jumped 10 feet. For the most part, I like the animals more than I do the people.

jtrotta

Of the 30 years in the Real Estate biz, had only one dog attack - sheppard that wound up hanging off my left forarm, after photo's of the rear of the property. Owner said no way not my dog, and then I showed em the teeth marks and blood, he began to kick & strike the dog about the body, I yelled a couple of times, until he stopped, and told him he'd be herein from my Lawyer, not fer the dog bite, but for being stupid & beating the dog, the money was put towards a local animal shelter.

I always advise if they have an animal, put them somewhere that their out of the way, it's best for all parties.

8)

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I've been bitten twice - both times by little bitty things in the house that kept yapping and of course the owners were saying, "Oh he/she won't bite." They then proceeded to dart at me across the room and both got me on the ankle (didn't draw blood - I happened to be wearing slacks instead of shorts both times.)

I have, however, been absolutely scared for my life twice...the first by a great dane that appeared out of shrubbery and the second was when I got out of my car and walked to the front of a property (in the country and vacant) to take a picture. When I started back there were three pit bulls between me and my car....all growling with hair standing up on their neck.

There was a construction crew (thankfully) on the next site and as I stood there petrified I yelled and one of them finally heard me and they all came over and diverted the dogs' attention while I got to my car. I thought I would have a heart attack. The dogs actually belonged to a neighbor.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
I reached onto the seat, pulled out my 357, leveled and cocked it and told the owner that if he wanted

Never leave home without it! :D

I always make the HO get pen the dog. When they say "never bites anyone" I just calmly explain the I've been known to bite and BTW I have a very good attorney. Gets them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks