• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Any Pda's You Can View Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Just curious. Can anyone recommend a PDA that can be viewed outside in the sun. Or am I dreaming???

I could see their value in shortening the inspection time but if you can't see it outside to draw the exterior measurements, then the clipboard & pen seem to still be the way to go.

Recommendations??

Ben

Liz South

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
The newer HP Jornadas are readable in bright sunlight. I tested mine in the Las Vegas sun last summer. It still works in the Virginia sun now.

Only problem is my middle aged eyes. :rolleyes:

Liz S.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Was going to say the same thing....I can see my jornada in sunlight. Now if I can just learn the freakin program!!!

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Thanks Liz and Mike,

HP doesn't seem to make the Jornada anymore. I couldn't find any new ones on the net....I'm wondering if the IPAQ is the Jornada replacement????

I'll have to wander down to the local store and ask them if I can take one outside to have a look at it in the sun....

Ben

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yep that is the replacement. I bought mine on ebay! ;)

Robert Muir

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
I use the Sony Clie, PEG-NX70V/U, with a color screen and built-in keyboard. A bit heavier than other PDA's, but still useful. I like the clam shell design. Can see the screen outside with no problem in the Utah desert sun.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Robert,

Does the Sony use Windows or Palm for the OS? The appraisal software I'm looking at operates only on the Windows Pocket PC operating system.

Thanks

Ben

TZitter

Sophomore Member
Dell makes a pocket PC that I use. Not to bad outside and it was a lot cheeper and more powerful than the other options.

How do you hold the tape and draw on the outside? Have not figured that out yet.

Tim Zitter

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Tim,

How about velcro'ing the PDA to the tape???? I've heard of guys doing that

Ben

Robert Muir

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
The Sony Clie uses the Palm 5.0, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks