• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Any Programmers Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I have written a few lines of program before, but that was DOS days and over 15 years ago. I can deal in simple loops and formula but I want to hire a programmer to draw a complex scaled graphic.

I use Excel to save the info which is collected on a continuous basis by a data logger and the data layout is quite simple. But since i know nothing about graphics I don't know how or even if I could use the chart feature in Excel to draw the output and to do so at the scale i want. I read about Excel and VBA (Visual Basic) programming and wonder if anyone has any insights on what kind of programmer i should seek.

A sample of the output I seek is below

Last edited:

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Well log data analysis in Excel ? Are you crazy? You can't do this, it's not possible ! This is as ridiculous as writing an appraisal package in excel !

On closer inspection, it looks similar to ELAN . . .

You have the right idea, but may be thinking too small. Much of a GeoPhysical Analysis Workstation system's functionality may be handled in Excel.

This is one of the items on my tbd list. A lot of the work I have done with my appraisal package applies and estabilishes feasibility. I've also worked at a SLB engineering ctr for many years developing related systems and products. After my "awakening", I realize much of the functionality can be replaced easily in an Excel system.

Do you have a requirements doc? I think there is a lot of potential to generalize and sell the product also. Once you load log(s), you should be able to select any type of analysis, and display the results (i.e. template).

This would be a fun project. Please forward whatever info you have. Look at the big picture and consider all the steps you want to accomplish. The general processing steps are:
- load the log data
- correct the data (need to display graphically)
- perform analysis
- generate displays which convey the results
- save the data

There's a lot of possible ways to do this in Excel, the better we understand the problem the more informed decisions we can make.

onward terrell, another adventure awaits in "Lord of the Log" . . .

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Other software appears to be using ASCII or Excel to format the info

Relates to logging a depth down the center and matching drilling interval times on one side and the same depth on the other side is various gases (methane, ethane, propane, etc.) and a total gas (all of the above) curve. The center also has a graphic. dots for sand, dashes for shale, bricks for limestone, angled bricks for dolomite, and triangles for chert that's the most common) They generally are drawn at a scale of 5" = 100' of depth but can be displayed at 2" = 100' and 1" = 100'.

the most common drilling time would be 1 min/ foot to 30 min/ft Total gas readings tend to be less than 500, depending upon calibration.

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
State
Texas
I don't fully understand your requirements, but a preliminary investigation indicates there are several significant issues when trying to display log data in an excel chart. These issues make the excel chart option undesirable and a chart solution more expensive than you originally thought. A couple issues are:

- The log data display typically has several tracks. Each track has it's own description, ie. range, values, curve(s), etc. Excel charts appear to be limited to a single track (or possibly two if they share the x range and the y ranges are displayed on each side of the chart). I haven't found a method to create multiple display tracks in a single excel chart. You could try to stack the required number of charts on top of each other to create the desired display (i.e. a log display of several charts and each chart correspond to a track), this will lead to other issues.

- The charts do not have a scroll option. Your logs will typically be hundreds of feet long and you want to see approx 0-1' intervals. The log display will be so long it will not fit in the display, you need a scroll option or similar. This may be solved using dynamic charts as identified at
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html
This provides a window onto the data which will need to be moved to view the remaining data. This is not as usable as a scroll bar, but may be usable.

Due to these (and possibly other) excel chart restrictions, other possible solutions should be considered.

I still think this is do-able in excel with some creative thinking (I've already created a few prototypes to confirm this), but you'd probably like something less expensive and available quicker.

Since all you are doing is displaying a log, I suggest you consider some of the free and low cost log display utilities available. You can find some of them with a web search, a few are:

http://www.slb.com/content/services/evaluation/software/data_utilities.asp?

http://www.x-rg.com/LASRG.htm

www.geologix.com/geologix/frames/fr...ix/technologies/geologpres.htm&m=y&sec=tech

I'm sure you can find more.

I think you can find a freeware or low cost utility which will load and display the log data as you want. These utilities are written by some of the same companies creating the logs, so they should be compatible.

bueno suerto.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Most of those appear to use excel as the database and with the exception of one which I believe uses that incredibly stupid Access program...and none of these programs work very will in terms of handling large files in Windows. (I hate windows btw)

I have log viewers (no problem) but the log creator is quite expensive and most have the annoying habit of wanting annual updates that are a high fraction of the original cost. My volume is too small to accommodate that. Likewise, Rockware products have the habit of making you download new updates literally upon a daily basis. Time wasting, stupid updates that you cannot tell does a thing. Then you reload the 'stuff' you went after and often have to reboot to boot. Rockware products generally suck. www.wellsight.com provides a free reader and the companies I know how use it provide their daily reports in .xls format.

These programs are great for loggin' companies that are integrating their computerized readouts directly to the software and have 'real-time' capability where the client and/or supervisor can log onto the net and get the readings directly online 24hr a day via satellite link. I am just looking for a simple drafting program that would allow me to manual input using Excel.

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
State
Texas
Attached is an example zip/excel file which includes an interactive dynamic chart. This allows you to selectively view segments of a large data set.

This doesn't do exactly what you want, but provides an idea how it can be done using the excel chart feature. If interested, you might want to contact the ProcessTrends staff to see if they could help, they have a lot of interesting stuff on their web site.

www.processtrends.com

The dynamic chart feature has a lot of potential when viewing large data sets.

There are other possible solutions in excel which would be more user friendly, but their implementation will not be available for awhile.

bueno suerto.

Attachments

• Chart_Interactive_dynamic_xls.zip
    74 KB · Views: 8

GCJim

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
You folks are losing me with the engineering(?) language. But, can your log file be logged/saved as simple text or numbers? I would have to believe that each piece of your relevant log-file data can be mapped to an individual field. If so, what you would like to do can probably be done in Excel, if not directly, then in a subsequent step of a series of scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks