• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Any update for Nexus planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwang yun

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
It's been a while since Nexus was released, is there any update for Nexus planned?

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for asking. Actually, we are testing a new build this week and next for the Assessor and Insurance industries. What industry are you in and how long have you been using Nexus? What devices are you using it with?

kwang yun

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
An appraiser
Since day one
Fujitsu 5022

Been using exclusively Nexus, and it has been very stable and reliable,
but there are few features missing or need improvements.
Was hoping Nexus developers are not giving up this software
Trying to like DaVinci but it's a bit slower than Nexus

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
State
Texas
Hi Joseph,

Again, thanks for the feedback! When you say "appraiser" do you mean a regular Fee Appraiser (like most of us here) or for Insurance or Assessment (County Assessment office)...? The reason I ask is to give you an idea of when you can expect the next release to be available.

FWIW, we have definitely NOT given up on Nexus, LOL. We've been doing some much needed "behind the scenes" work that is required by some of our existing and new Integration Partners. Most of this stuff is not "fun" stuff or perhaps what a regular user might find most important, but it is important to the "core" of the program so that the data gathered (sketches and other data) can be more readily shared with other programs via an programming interface. There has been an improvement to the UI and a few drawing improvements but it is mainly all about integration and the like.

This is why the very next update is only for Assessors, Insurance Inspectors and other similar industries - i.e. those who rely on a more integrated environment where data is shared between systems.

To be sure, we would like to put in a lot of drawing improvements. Apex started off as an appraisal office and some of us here have that in our blood. While we certainly enjoy user input on making the program better, some of us are also "users" as well so we readily identify with what users want us to change and/or make better... :) So, it is tough on US, too - having to wait for some new feature we think is important just because some big company needs some programming feature. But the future looks good - it appears that we are near the end of the geeky changes that the integrating programmers need/want and so it looks like we're finally about to start getting back to the drawing features updates. I cannot give you a time for that version's release as of today, but I should know something more definite in a couple of weeks - once this next release is out and we can sit down to line out the release schedules for the next releases.

That said, it has been many months since there has been a Nexus release. The delay was necessary as so much needed to change under the hood, so to speak. As I understand it, we can all start looking forward to much more frequent releases of Nexus for all markets. That is, we'd expect several updates (quarterly or even monthly?) this next year. My hope is that we'll have a Fee Appraise release in January. I would have expected it before the end of this year except that the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays always wreck havoc on the number of hours some key people are here. Still, I feel good about some sort of Appraiser release in January, and it should be much better than what you are using. Once we get close, we'll start talking about the features, etc.

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask questions or send in suggestions or offer constructive criticism. We want to know how to make the program better for you!

PS - How do you like your 5022. Did you get their indoor/outdoor screen? Do you have any advice to pass along to other users on what you like and don't like on your Tablet? Things you would do different if you ordered a new one today? Any questions you might have on new models coming out? We have lots of Tablets here and are always happy to share what we know.

kwang yun

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
Thanks Randall

I knew you will have some answer to Nexus being quiet for a while.

I had Fujitsu convertible, as soon as you released Nexus I bought 5022 from Fujitsu refurbished and never looked back. Since started using slate pc I went paperless and it's been working great for me. I ve just ordered 2GB ram in preparation to upgrade to vista when it gets little bit more stable I understand it's great for tablet pcs.
I've got outdoor model and even here in GA with it's bright sun I rarely have visibility issues.
My set up
Sprint EVDO card - connected to internet wherever I am
MaxEmail - Fax to email service been using them for about 2 years with no problems at all
Foldeshare - Instantly sync folders with office pc and my slate whenever I'm connected to internet
PCMount - stillshot2 mount for my SUV from ebay paid $91 and it's better than Ram mount or Jotto Desk

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
State
Texas
Joseph:

Yes, we have observed that a lot of first time Tablet PC folks get a convertible, but the overwhelming number of appraisers getting their second Tablet PC go the slate route. Kinda tell you something, doesn't it? ;-) I have no "beef" with convertibles - in fact, the unit I use the most is a convertible, but if I were still appraising for a living, I believe I'd be using a slate for my appraisal work.

I think you are wise to go with 2GB, regardless of using TXP or Vista. I happen to like what Vista brings to the Tablet. I run both XP and Vista on two essentially identical desktop systems and don't have any overwhelming need for Vista on a desktop, but with a Tablet, it is a different story. FWIW, I've enjoyed devices which had Vista Business or Ultimate installed from scratch more than I have when doing an XP to Vista upgrade. Might be because the devices upgraded were older than the ones ordered from the factory, but still... I'd recommend a full back up of your system, reformatting the HDD and doing a fresh Vista install if possible. Depending on your HDD space requirements, you might even look into an SSD HDD when the time comes. They are faster and much more battery friendly than the drive you have in there now... Certainly not necessary, but still worth looking into.

Smart move IMHO to go with the EVDO card. While a wireless broadband connection is a bit more than a regular cable or DSL account (and slower), the flexibility of having data (mostly) available at any time sure makes a difference in how you work, huh?

Can you send me a photo or two of your mount, or a link to the site? if it works well for you, I'd like to know more about their stuff so I can let other customers know about them.

TIA

BlueDog007

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Joseph-

Would you mind posting a picture of your mount? I am looking for one now! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks