• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Anybody Has A Life Insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
"Oh, Man!" That is what my supervisor said when he looked at the order form from online Efax.
The address was, 'zzz zzz Ave, Oakland, CA' The subject was right in the area of the most criminal city of America.

We rushed to get there before the sun goes down. We went there, I got out of the car first and my supervisor tried to get out of the car. At that time, a 4x4 Suv just passed by like a bullet a few inches off the car. The speed was about 50 to 60 MPH in 25MPH Residential Zone. It just passed the stop sign and kept going like a bullet. The stop sign doesn't matter to them.

During an inspection, we had to keep looking out the window to make sure nobody breaks the car. (My sup. drives MBZ ;) )

On the way back to the office, (we were still in the same area) we stopped at the signal light and waited for a green light. While I was talking with my wife on the phone, I heard 'Bang, Bang, Bang...'..... Four cars were involved in the accident and we were the last one hit in the back. Somebody smashed his car toward the cars at the signal light.

I never thought of appraisal like this. I always thought it is got to be easy inspection, easy report, and easy fee collection.
Am I in the real world now?

Steve Wyrick

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
What section of USPAP says you have to accept an appraisal assignment? :confused:

Charge Combat Pay fee. :gunfire

Don't drive a little hot rod car to the area. Get a large American vehicle, preferably an Abrams M1 Tank if you are going to appraise in this area.

Do appraisal in the area between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm, its late enough that the unsavory element of the area is out of bed, not fully awake, and and early enough for the wannabee unsavory types to be in school (learning ebonics) and not on the street. Also the cops are in the middle of their shift and on patrol.

Good luck:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
You and your supervisor must not be very observant.

That guy who went by doing 60MPH in a 25MPH zone was one of your competitors doing the same property but he was smart: he would only take the assignment if it was a 2055 EXTERIOR. What you saw was his "drive-by" inspection of the property's exterior.

You either have to learn to be fast or learn how to eliminate such places from your service area. Banks can't Red Line areas for lending but the is no law that requires appraisers to put themselves in jeopardy doing the appraisals.

One suggestion for areas like this would be to require the LO and his supervisor to accompany you to the property. Might be fun to see a suit try to wiggle out of that one.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
HI Daniel;

I do those inspections between 8 & 9 AM, as stated above the slugs are pretty well whacked out and not yet functioning. Never go late afternoon on friday.

Once did an inspection on a house that was boarded up and secured by a property mgt company for the REO dept. Got there and the lock had been broken and door was swinging free. Got the jitters and called the police.
They cleared tha house with guns drawn, and asked why I did not carry one.

Oh Well

Hal

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I woke up this morning and said, "Thank God, I am still alive and have a life."
Thank you, all of you, and have a nice weekend!

<Daniel>

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Daniel,

I do inspections in these types of areas we have them up here as well. Do the inspection early in the morning to me no later than 11AM they start to stir after that. I use MLS photographs alot for comps there as well. I will drive by the comps and take the photo BUT if anyone is infront of the comparable or nearby I keep going and use the MLS photograph. Pay real close attention to your surroundings and preferably call someone when you show up to the subject then call when you leave and keep them on the line until you exit the area.

Nelson Araujo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New Jersey
I Do notice they smell fear=)
I'm in New Jersey and when i do places like Newark and Paterson i find it best to just mind my own business do the inspection and Do some "Drive By Photography"
I find if i look confident and dont flash out my PDA i'm ok=)
Maybe it also helps that i grew up in one of those neighborhoods
Gotta love the car jacking capitol of the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks