• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Anyone Have VA Contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushinValue

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hello,

I was checking to see if anyone had a contact at the Arizona district VA?

I have an appraiser that needs to be removed from the panel, although I am hitting a wall. I have reported this appraiser to the sate (has been disciplined), although VA will not process this complaint. I have received an override of value notice from the VA (they accepted a value of 365k while the appraiser came up with 315k on a suburban appraisal). They only will process this as a reconsideration of value, not a complaint.

I have called multiple times and finally was told "oh, its you again, Ill see what I can do"....

Any advise?

I am in the Sacramento market and there are only a few appraisers on the panel. People are getting screwed by this guy on a regular basis....

In case anyone was wondering why I am so fired up... He used 2 "comparables" (of the three total) located in a different city/market because they were "closest" LOL! These are not competing city/counties. When I tell people what happened (who have minimal understanding of appraisal process), I simply tell them where the Subject was and the appraiser "compared" the property to two Citrus Heights properties.... People literally laugh out loud. People who do not even know about appraising, they know enough that comparing the two cities is laugh out loud funny... Sad really, not funny....

Again, this was a suburban appraisal with model match properties closed within the last 9 months within the development (increasing to stable market).

any suggestions?

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
https://www.benefits.VA.gov/phoenix/regional-loan-center.asp

PushinValue

Professional Status
State
California
Been there, done that, 5+ phone calls...

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
i'm thinking the VA push to add lots of appraisers to the panel has added some quite incompetent appraisers. Bad appraisals run both high and low. I've heard about some low ones and this seems to be another one. i'm also starting to see some strange high ones.

For example, i just finished a somewhat complex manufactured home on acreage in a remote location VA appraisal. There were comps to analyze - some with variations in lot size - some with more or less amenities like garages, workshops, horse barns but they all came together pretty nicely and with the 9 comps in the report to truly illustrate the adjustments it made a nice rational supportable credible opinion of value. The only problem was the one recent VA sale that was 20% higher than anything else in the report. It was recent and would have had access to all the other comps in my report and i can see no way that property hit that contract price without a complete and total disregard for the standard appraisal principles. I analyzed sales going back two years so it's not like the other guy used some really great sales i just missed. And there are only a limited number of sales in Tonopah - no matter how many miles out you go.

So i just added a comment that comp 9 is well outside the indicated range of values and is given less weight.. But it does seem to illustrate a trend. And this is not the first time i have addressed this in the past few months. The times are changing in the VA appraisal world.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
i'm thinking the VA push to add lots of appraisers to the panel has added some quite incompetent appraisers. Bad appraisals run both high and low. I've heard about some low ones and this seems to be another one. i'm also starting to see some strange high ones.

For example, i just finished a somewhat complex manufactured home on acreage in a remote location VA appraisal. There were comps to analyze - some with variations in lot size - some with more or less amenities like garages, workshops, horse barns but they all came together pretty nicely and with the 9 comps in the report to truly illustrate the adjustments it made a nice rational supportable credible opinion of value. The only problem was the one recent VA sale that was 20% higher than anything else in the report. It was recent and would have had access to all the other comps in my report and i can see no way that property hit that contract price without a complete and total disregard for the standard appraisal principles. I analyzed sales going back two years so it's not like the other guy used some really great sales i just missed. And there are only a limited number of sales in Tonopah - no matter how many miles out you go.

So i just added a comment that comp 9 is well outside the indicated range of values and is given less weight.. But it does seem to illustrate a trend. And this is not the first time i have addressed this in the past few months. The times are changing in the VA appraisal world.

Must be regional or a state issue. I know of only 1 VA Appraiser sanctioned in Virginia in the past 3 years. true, I do not have access to all complaints, am not on the board, and do not attend all quarterly meetings of the board.

In the case I note, the appraiser reached out to me for help. But, she had already signed a consent agreement and not even God can help you after having done that. By signing he consent agreement you have admitted wrong, just like in the legal system in a Nolo Contendre. Had that not happened, having reviewed the report and circumstances,with my help and with the aid of an attorney, she might never have been sanctioned.

VA stood behind this lady and kept her on the panel for good reason.

There may be some bad apples somewher in the states, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands but I doubt it is the problem you believe it to be.

Suggestion to the OP: Contact the VA Chief Appraiser at The Department of Veterans Affairs if you believe you have a case.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
This is da man!

https://www.benefits.VA.gov/homeloans/documents/docs/bio_gerald_kifer.pdf

PushinValue

Professional Status
State
California
1. I know he used 2 sales from a different city/county becuase they were the "closest"
2. I know the city/counties are different markets.
3. I know this is a suburban appraisal and not a rural assignment (no reason to leave the county).
4. I know this appraiser did not provide a reconciliation (because if he had to provide some commentary, it would make no sense based on his comparables).
5. I know he either 1. did not complete this appraisal himself or 2. is too incompetent to appraise within this market in the future....

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
1. I know he used 2 sales from a different city/county becuase they were the "closest"
2. I know the city/counties are different markets.
3. I know this is a suburban appraisal and not a rural assignment (no reason to leave the county).
4. I know this appraiser did not provide a reconciliation (because if he had to provide some commentary, it would make no sense based on his comparables).
5. I know he either 1. did not complete this appraisal himself or 2. is too incompetent to appraise within this market in the future....

That's ypur opinion. Send a copy to the state board and one to Mr. kifer at VA in DC and let them decide what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks