• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Anyone Still Want To Raise Minimum Wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Politicians will keep doing this because it actually boosts union agreed contract wages, while getting votes from people who don't study economics

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I was looking at hiring a house cleaning service. It would take one person about 2 hours to do a bang up job on my house. What several people quoted worked out to $45 an Hour. Now, my son is a Geotechnical engineer, certified in Roads, Bridges, runways, structures, has worked for NASA projects etc. and HE doesn't make $45 an hour. What in the hell makes a cleaning lady think with no education, no commitment to excel, that she is worth $45 an hour. These snowflakes need to learn that you have to earn an exceptional wage to be paid an exceptional wage. I'll vacuum my own damn carpet.

Reactions: Eli

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I was looking at hiring a house cleaning service. It would take one person about 2 hours to do a bang up job on my house. What several people quoted worked out to $45 an Hour. Now, my son is a Geotechnical engineer, certified in Roads, Bridges, runways, structures, has worked for NASA projects etc. and HE doesn't make $45 an hour. What in the hell makes a cleaning lady think with no education, no commitment to excel, that she is worth $45 an hour. These snowflakes need to learn that you have to earn an exceptional wage to be paid an exceptional wage. I'll vacuum my own damn carpet.

Supply and demand?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Don't forget that the cleaning lady has to get there and then to the next job so there is dead time to be accounted for. Also be careful about hiring anybody to do work at your house with proper general liability insurance etc. Even a maid has overhead.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

How about making a post without calling people snowflakes? Moving on, if people will pay her that, then she is worth it . Shes not worth it to you, so go vacuum your own carpet. I found usually if one has a relationship with a cleaning person they come weekly the rate is lower...been awhile since I used one but it was around $50 a cleaning ( took 1.5 -2 hours)

There is the time getting back and forth to appointments, driving, gas etc. A number of low prestige jobs can pay well if the people are in demand...more power to them. We need people making money to support the economy. How do you scrooges who delight in working people making low wages think that leads to a sustainable economy or growth? There are far more workers out there than managers or executives, so if the majority of workers are making sub par wages, they lack purchasing power to support local businesses, which in turn leads to their doing poorly and hiring less.

Reactions: Eli

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

Actually, the article was inconclusive with different results from the 2 studies, and end of article recommended further studies. Says so right in the content linked above...but. But why let truth interfere with bias. Nothing is perfect and everything is going to have consequences, including leaving minimum wages at present low level..

Even when raising wage leads to less hours worked, and a loss to the worker of $125 a month as one study showed...that worker now has free time to earn extra income with a side line or part time work or will have time to go to school or trade school to get qualified for better opportunities. Working dead end jobs with low wages and trying to make up for it with working lots of hours still leaves people trapped at barely above poverty earnings existence.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Yes, get rid of the minimum wage, then prosperity will be just around the corner. And also get rid of those pesky workplace safety, environmental and health regulations. Then we can finally be competitive with the biggest ****hole countries on this planet. Yes, we will then be able to make cheap products ourselves and not have to buy cheap stuff from Bengla Desh and Viet Nam. In fact, the best model for our future of de-regulation and no minimum wage is Somalia, no regulations at all there.

Myself, I don't want to live in Viet Nam or Bengla Desh or Somalia. However, if you wish to live in such a libertarian paradise, go ahead and move there and get all the benefits of small government. Instead of trying to remake this country in their image.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I believe the answer is to raise the minimum wage to $20 per hour by 2020.

When we see wholesale automation, we know that raising the minimum wage had the effect of not hiring.

As of now, not hiring is not counted in the labor statistics. People are either in the workforce or they are not in the workforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks