• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Apex IV Upgrade for Wintotal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

FYI.
Last month I purchased Athena only to find out that they are no longer going to support WinSketch. Apex IV will be the new tool of choice. I received some marketing material that stated I could get Apex IV for $99.00 through the end of January. I wasn't real happy about it until Alamode informed me that recent purchasers will receive Apex IV when they perform an Instant Customer Update starting in the 1st week of February.

In other words, if you've recently purchased Athena put your credit card away.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I've had WinTotal for almost 6 years now and have to say that I really, really resent having to pay again for a sketch program. I have 3 computers and if I want it on all 3, which I would need to do, I get 1 for $99 or $199 for 3 and another $99 for each additional one wanted.

I really do resent this!

Daniel Williams

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Pam,

I am assuming you are running the 3 machines on a network?....couldn't you just load apex...(or WinTotal) on the server? I'm not razzing :p you.....I'm just curious.....I have 1 machine,no network so I am ignorant of this. :oops:

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
How recently must you have purchased Athena for the FREE upgrade to apply? Do you know? I don't remenber exactly when I got it, but I'm afraid it's been a few months.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida

Pam,

I am assuming you are running the 3 machines on a network?....couldn't you just load apex...(or WinTotal) on the server? I'm not razzing :p you.....I'm just curious.....I have 1 machine,no network so I am ignorant of this. :oops:
Hi Daniel,

Yes, mine are all networked and running off my server CPU. Alamode said each machine needs it's own Apex installed though. Really ticks me off! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Pamela, you can keep using Winsketch. They just will not customer support it anymore. If it is working now, I doubt it will give you any problems. You can use any sketching program with Wintotal. I have never quit using Apex and it has always been my default sketcher. You can jsut make Winsketch your default sketcher. Don't get too mad at Alamode, they are getting Apex cheaper than if you bought it straight from Apex.

A

Anonymous

I have been using apex for ever. I have had alamode for about 2 years. Currently use athena. Have never had a problem with it. Apex is by far superior to Winsketch. I tried WS once. When I found out I could not draw angled interior lines (maybe a 45degree one only?) I quit using it.

Alamode has called 4 or 5 times in the last week trying to get me to by an "upgrade". I told them I didnt need it. They said, yeah , but now it will intergrate automatically. I told them, yeah, and it has been for 2 years. All your have to do is change the sketcher program in the setup files. They said, Oh, guess you dont need anything.

LOL

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Frankly, I am happy to spend the $99 to get away from Winsketch. I found it to be a fairly cumbersome program. I had a lot of trouble with it when I first started using it. I'd loose sketches all over the place.

One could always go back to pen and ruler drawings and scan them in. I've seen more than one appraisal with that done.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Toast,

The photo is great, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. I'm going to an AI function tonite and always pull out the Curley tie.

I just upgraded to Apex version 2. It runs great on my xp with no errors. Have been using Apex since it was Dos based, tried winsketch once and didn't like it.

tc

A

Anonymous

Bill said <<Apex is by far superior to Winsketch. I tried WS once. When I found out I could not draw angled interior lines (maybe a 45degree one only?) I quit using it. >>

I can draw angled interior lines with winsketch or I don't know what you mean by angled interior lines.

I have tried sketch-it, Apex, Winsketch, & DCsketch and find each work somewhat differently. I have Apex, WinSk, & DC on my machines. I own Winsketch & DC while one of my subs insists on using Apex (we argue over it all the time)

I am faster on Winsk than she is, and she is faster on Apex than I am. But I have never found anything that one can do that the other cannot. Some things are simpler for some people, some things require fewer keystrokes on one that the other. Win requires going to a menu to draw angles but enters line lengths in single steps. If you need to change the location of the dimension (which automatically centers), click it and drag. On Apex you have to enter twice first to lock down the value, then to set the location of the dimension, but it eliminates the angle problem. DCsketch requires the fewest strokes or clicks to draw a box, but otherwise I consider it less handy than either Apex or Winsketch.

Diff. strokes for diff. folks
ter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks