• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Apple and Alamode Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Drecksler

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Does anyone have an Apple / Mac Computer and also use Alamode software.
Apple has a software program VMWare Fusion which allows one to use Windows on a Mac.
Looking at getting a new laptop and the Appraisal Software is the only reason not to switch to Apple.

Thanks for your input.

jonhig

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I considered this as well since Apple's are far superior machines. They are more pricey, but you get what you pay for. You shouldn't run into any problems at all. I've only heard of Parallel's, which allows you to switch between windows and Mac OS. Of course, your still suseptable to viruses and spyware which is what made me decide to just get a crappy PC. But overall, windows is windows, you should not have any problems with a la mode software.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I use ClickFORMS on a Mac; it works great. There is no reason of which I'm aware that WinTOTAL could not be used on a Mac too. My experience with WinTOTAL was it tended to be a bit of a resource hog, which could cause some issues. I would recommend installing Boot Camp and using it to install WinTOTAL. You could then use the Boot Camp partition as the Windows installation for VMware or Parallels.

I run ClickFORMS without using Windows via CrossOver. I don't think WinTOTAL can run under CrossOver, but you could try.

Charles Drecksler

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Apple Computer using Alamode?

Thank you JonHig and CoachPotato for your help!

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I asked ala mode once (back when I beta tested)if they would support Apples or Linux. They laughed for about 5 minutes, and then changed the subject.

I am still not sure what was so funny.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I asked ala mode once (back when I beta tested)if they would support Apples or Linux. They laughed for about 5 minutes, and then changed the subject.

I am still not sure what was so funny.
It is hilarious to think a la mode would be much help to a customer. :rof:

Rob Bodkin

Professional Status
State
Washington
Wintotal on a mac via boot camp

I've used wintotal on my iMac since I purchased it 2 years ago. I installed Boot Camp the weekend it was released and have never looked back. My iMac spends the bulk of it's time as a PC, and as a Mac on the weekends and nights. It's honestly been the happiest 2 years of my computing life, I've never, I don't mean occasionally, never needed a "geek" to help with weird issues. The Mac hardware, wearing the XP coat, just works flawlessly. With Boot Camp it's not a simulated or "virtual" PC, it's XP on a portion of the hard drive, separate from the Mac OS.

I'm getting a new Mac Book Pro next week and will try Fusion first. The downside of Boot Camp is that I can't run my Mac applications, specifically music, at the same time. In Boot Camp you're either a Mac or a PC, not both. With fusion, or parallels, you open the "PC" in a window, while staying in the Mac OS.

The upside for me, besides an inherent appreciation of the fine qualities of the Apple products in general, has been the absolute seamless working of peripherals, network and programs. Even in the less "reliable" XP environment. I hope that was helpful.

Rob

Jason W. Kelley

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I currently use a MacBook Pro running WinTotal in Parallels and it runs Windows faster than any other computer I have previously used. I use Vault to back my files up so if I ever had any problems with virus or spyware then I just delete the Windows file in Parallels and its like starting on a new computer.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
It is hilarious to think a la mode would be much help to a customer
oh, you had that experience too...the only company that would charge you 20% to refund you because their software wouldn't work as claimed? BTW, it was well worth the 20% to get rid of.

JGraz

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Parallels is the truth. I run it on a standard Macbook. I hook up an additional monitor and run Windows on one side and use my laptop screen to run Mac apps. It is nice having both monitors. Very easy to go back and forth. I will never own a pc again if I can help it. Go Mac!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks