• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appointment Security And Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
Do you go into homes where only one person is home? Do you video or document your appointment? What if you're accused by someone as being inappropriate or making a sexual advance? Just a thought I had considering the world we now live in and what's possible. Something to think about.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Yes I go in, usually one person in home. No video. If I'm accused, I'm accused. The burden of proof is up to them, not to me, to document and prove that I did something stupid.

Anyone can make up anything, anytime. All I can do is act professionally and not feed into any bs claims or words.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Same as Kyle. It would seem strange to wear a body camera. :shrug:

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i used to approach it like kyle but now i start the audio recorder on my phone before i enter and stick it upside down in my shirt pocket so the mic is on top. better safe than sorry.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
Bet we've all been thinking about this lately. It's not ideal, but being alone with one person (agent/seller/borrower) is part of the job. That's probably the case in most of my assignments. I do prefer when more than one person is around, however if someone is going to falsely accuse you and they know the other person that's probably worse.

The best thing you can do is be aware of it, act professional and keep the conversation all business.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The best thing you can do is be aware of it, act professional and keep the conversation all business.

Good advice. It is also probably a good idea to realize that as one inspects a home today there is a decent chance that the inspection is being recorded by the homeowner via security cameras throughout the home.

There is a pretty famous (in certain circles) video that a big lender has showing an appraiser pulling a beer out of the fridge and relaxing a bit at the end of the inspection process. The homeowner did not say Dilly Dilly. :)

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I treat every inspection as if there are multiple cameras in the home. Had one last year where one camera was obvious in a POS house with OSB "floor" in the kitchen. Upon closer inspection there were four cameras. The cost of the four cameras would have paid for cheap vinyl in the kitchen.

During the REO days I took my dog with me on inspections and let my clients know she was coming with me. One client got a kick out of a picture of the dog at one inspection that I overlooked and from then on got a picture of the dog in all the REO reports.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Do you go into homes where only one person is home? Do you video or document your appointment? What if you're accused by someone as being inappropriate or making a sexual advance? Just a thought I had considering the world we now live in and what's possible. Something to think about.

At my age and the drugs I'm on, about the only charge that would stick is "attack with a dead weapon"

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Tape record, if alone I talk to myself, sorta back up notes. Owner statement. My recorder looks like a keychain
Keychain-8GB-40.jpg

Charles Decker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Part of this business puts in confined areas with one other person behind a closed door. My only rule is that if children of the residence are meeting me because of Mom/Dad working then they must be at least 18 if alone (male or female) or 2 kids if they are under 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks