• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Designations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Gutman

Sophomore Member
I've been considering joining one of the professional organizations for appraisers when I complete my liscensing requirements. However, there seems to be a million of them and I often wonder if it really helps to have all those designations following your name. Is it worth it? Which organization would you recommend for a residential appraiser if any?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Bill:
I do beleive that at least ONE designation does help your career. NFI {no financial interest} I don't own a designation, and have no ax to grind either way. I AM an affiliate member of one org and am seriously reconsidering re-upping my membership in the other.

What area are you working in ? Residential or Commercial? Ag?

The two PRIMARY organizations NAIFA and Appraisal Institute have many adherants folks who will tell you both or neither are 'worth it'. If you are specializing there are other orgs as well. A Union even!

I would encourage you to attend some meetings or educations sessions provided by each and come to your own conclusion.

The AI's are more button down types, and some of 'em are a tad snobbish.
The IFA's have (in MY opinion) some professionalism 'issues' on occasion.

Sometimes I think it comes down more to: Are you more comfy in a suit or jeans?
than any specific goal for MOST appraisers.

IF however you are intending a high falutin' career as a mover and shaker in the industry, you need to participate heavily regardless of which organization you elect to join!

There have been several discussions as to the benefits and detriments associated with all the organizations: do a search for NAIFA 'and' AI in the newbie forum and then read all the associated threads...

Iwill try to post a link for those posts but you can do it yourself using the search function.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
B)

OK here's a Link to several posts on this subject... you will note that yorus is at the top of the list :yellowblack:

happy reading!

There are other posts, and I am sure a few folks will be along to add their two cents!

so you got three outta me already :p

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
Bill:

In another post you said you are in Arizona. Where? If you're in the Phoenix area, there is a very active NAIFA chapter here with frequent meetings and educational programs. I'd suggest attending one or more of the meetings (you don't have to be a member) and see what you think. Jo Ann Stratton is the chapter secretary, I bet if you email her, she'll put you on the notification list for meetings.

The major organizations, based on membership in the Appraisal Foundation, are AI, NAIFA, and ASA. The NAR Appraisal Section is also popular, although I don't know if there are local chapters. Some here swear by the Guild; I just can't get past the politics of the AFL-CIO. I'm a member of NAIFA and ASA, with senior designations in both. Since I am on a hiatus from commercial appraisal, my designations and 2 bucks will get me a cup of Starbucks. But I still renew my memberships, attend meetings, and even participate as a chapter officer because I do find value in my memberships. I can't speak to the advantages or lack thereof of AI, but there seems to be an awful lot of SRA's joining NAIFA, at least in Phoenix. ASA is a great group, with a wide variety of appraisal disciplines, and a very well run national organization, but the focus is not on residential appraisal. NAIFA has had some political issues at the national level, but at the chapter level is the best fit for residential appraisers, IMNSHO.

Back in the day, before state licensing, a professional designation was an advantage for a residential appraiser. Now, most residential clients don't even know what a designation is, much less being impressed by one. The best suggestion I can make is that you attend a few meetings of one or more of the major groups, and see if it's a fit for you. And you can attend the meetings before you get your license.

Dave McReynolds
Phoenix

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I have already added your email address to my mailing list--so next time NAIFA is doing something in Phoenix--I will send you a notice! By the way it doesn't matter where you are in Arizona! I come from Safford, we also have people from Kingman, Chino Valley, Casa Grande and occasionally other locations attend our chapter meetings.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
As a member of the NAIFA and a former SRA (Appraisal Institute), if you are going to be a residential appraiser, I would not go with the AI as it essentially has become a commercial appraisal organization. I have spent years fighting the fight with the trend of the AI and finally said "adios". In Dallas, the NAIFA is more directed towards the residential appraiser and provides CE in that direction.

A comparison of CE 2 hour seminars from meetings: AI offered "Absorption rates of commercial office space in downtown Dallas". NAIFA offered "An examination of mid-rise and high-rise residential condominiums in Uptown Dallas".

Also, the NAIFA is much cheaper than the AI.

Just my 2 cents.

Roger Strahan, IFA

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I am a member of The National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Appraisal Section. From a cost stand point it is quite reasonable. I chose that route since I am also a real estate broker and REALTOR®. My personal thought is that belonging to a national organization looks impressive on your resume`.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Currently I am an associate member of the AI have been for two years. However, the meetings and CE that I have attended appears to be more geared toward the commercial side of appraising. I have attended the IFA's meetings and some classess and IMHO the IFA appears to be more geared toward residential side of appraising. If it were me I would attend several meetings and CE classess from either groups just to see where they stand locally. This next renewal with the AI I may not be renewing but may go to the IFA. That is my personal opinion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks