• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Exam Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hi guys. This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while.

I grew up in a family of Arizona appraisers (my dad is certified general, my big brother is certified residential and mom and little brother are both licensed residential). I'll be the 5th appraiser in the family, but I have a question that nobody in my family can answer and the chances of getting a timely answer from the Arizona Board of Appraisal are slim to none. m2:

Here’s my issue: I did most of my appraisal schooling over 2 years ago, but this fall I took the last class I needed to finish my hours for my certification. Well the class ended up being split over 2 months (I had to miss 1 day for a family funeral) and when I went to make up the missed day during the next class rotation, the class had changed books and instructors and they were learning the new 2008 test requirement material. I was pretty surprised at how different it was from the class I’d been in just the month prior.

Anyway, fast forward to the school exam for that class... The school had 2 exams on file: One exam for the people who'd taken the class prior to October and one was for those who took the class after October. They accidentally gave me the newer version of the test when I went to the exam and I was absolutely freaked out and totally lost by the questions. I did about 10 of them and each answer was a complete and total blind guess. I was in a full blown panic thinking that I’d suddenly turned stupid or that I’d missed reading a very important chapter in my class book. Anyway, I went up to the front desk and asked them if I had the right test and as it turns out I didn't. *big sigh of relief* They switched it for the older test and I breezed through (and passed) that test in 20 minutes flat.

So… If the school class exams were so vastly different based off of the 2007/2008 change in standards do you think the State exams are going to as vastly different too? I would think they are.

I'm asking this because I submitted my application in late December and received my invitation to test just last week and now I'm in a panic thinking that because I'm testing in 2008 I'll be expected to test to the new 2008 educational standards even though I learned all my material prior to the new standards.

Do you think they are making exceptions for people who fell in the education/testing cracks, like me?

If you've read this much, bless you. It's a novel, I know. I have a call into the Arizona Board, but like I said the chances of getting them to reply in a timely manner (if at all) are very poor...:fiddle:

Any advice will be much appreciated!

PS: I'll also cross post this over in the Arizona section just in case someone there can give me some guidance.

Thanks again!

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
The answer is a big fat NO! They will not have a second test, all of the new exams are based on the 2008 criteria. However please remember the test will be on essentially the same material, it will just be worded diffrently, with more difficult questions and a longer test.

Good Luck

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Eeeek!:unsure:

Thanks for the prompt reply although I sure wish your answer was different...lol!!!:blush:

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
you and me both I will be sitting for the Cert. General exam soon and all of my paperwork was in before December.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Ditto Mr. Stuchell,

If you take your exam after 01/01/2008, you will take the new exam.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Don't forget to use all your resources.

In SC, and I hope in your state, often times the exam company has an outline, with topics and the percentages of the test each topic covers. On mine, it showed each topic for testing, and the percentage of the overall test bank that covered that topic.

That will roughly translate to what percentage of your test each topic will be on. If you can get a test outline, then you can brush up on the major percentage stuff.

That way, you can have a little more confidence about the test you are going to take.

Good Luck!!

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thanks guys. I'm nervous. I have zero confidence at this point.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Shannon,

There is nothing you cant learn. Keep the confidence. Its just a test. Study your arse off and you will be fine.

PE

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thanks guys. I am so glad I finally joined and stopped lurking. You guys are so nice and I think will be very helpful source of appraisal advice (outside of my family...lol!)

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I'm still trying to grasp how dramatically your last class' syllabus could have changed in the interim of your missing....one class. What does "after October" mean ? Would that be for any student already knowing that they could not complete everything on-time, and their resulting scheduled exam date would not occur....until after January 1st ?

To be surrounded by a family of appraisers for so many years you ought to be one of the most street-wise trainees in AZ ! The volume of potential dinner table appraisal-speak could have you quoting USPAP....while standing on your head......in the corner of the room.....with the lights turned off.

USPAP makes true change.....about as fast as a glacier moves. The fundamentals of that document are always the same. The real changes are mostly those varying shades of gray that get sprinkled in now and then. If your panic is sourced within the "changes" between 2007 and 2008.....why not just study the material OF those changes.

No need for panic. No alcohol or coffee with dinner the night before. Get a good night of sleep. Take a brisk morning walk as the next day's sun is rising. Take a cool shower. Eat a smart breakfast. Don't be late arriving at the exam ! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks