• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Licenses In Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRIME PROPERTY

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Whats The Average Turn Around Time On Appraiser Licenses Apps. In Ohio After You Submit It??? Hows Business Out There???

3 Putt

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
In my dealings with the state, they have been very efficient about the paperwork. However, I have only sent in continuing education lately. It's been years since I sent in for licensing.

As far as work goes, it's been slower than normal. It seems a great number of storms hit our real estate market all at once. Ohio has been actively pursuing brokers who try to force values on appraisers (that's a good thing). Ohio also enacted predatory lending laws. Overall, the state's economy seemed to have slowed down quite a bit. Now, if you apply for an adjustable loan, you have to qualify at the fully indexed amount, not the low teaser rate of 3%. Additionally, we are always in the top 5 states in foreclosure's. Lot's of loan companies closing doors and laying people off.

Like I said, lot's of things have changed in the past year. Most of the appraisers I know, didn't realize just how good it used to be.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
....and we lead the nation in mortgage fraud, according to recent figures.

Ditto to what Todd said.

Kevin Keck

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
Whats The Average Turn Around Time On Appraiser Licenses Apps. In Ohio After You Submit It??? Hows Business Out There???

I would say that the Department of Commerce is currently backed up processing license applicants. My application for upgrade to Certified was submitted in late December (nothing like waiting to the last minute to upgrade before AQB 2008) and last week the state asked me to provide work samples. I know another appraiser that submitted work samples about a month ago and still hasn't heard back from the state. Should you call the Department of Commerce appraisal section they might be able to give you an estimate of current processing times.

How's business? Depends, I guess. My market seems to be flooded with appraisers so there is a downward pressure on fees and not enough work for many folks. I've made some coin over the last three months doing REO work but I have recently raised my fees so that end of the business has diminished for me.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks