• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Tran

Freshman Member
I am just finishing up my online class for the appraisal training. After I finished the final exam, I know I am required to take the state trainee license so I can start practicing my 2000 hours requirement. I hear a lot especially in the area of preparing for Real Estate Saleperson; that many people have to take the crash course in-order to help them pass the state exam. Is this also true of the appraisal trainee exam? Do I need to take a crash course? Are there people out there that after taking an online/home study course, have had success in passing the trainee exam the first time?

Also as to how I can best prepare for the exam? I can fill out the URAR form pretty good. I have a good grasp of the 3 approaches to appraisal. I understand the USPAP rules. Do I have to really memorize these rules in terms of a, b, and c? Like standard rule 1.5.f for scope of the work etc...

Thank you,

Dan. :beer:

Michael T. Hiester

Freshman Member
Dan,

I didn't take the online or correspondence prelicensing coursework so I can't tell you how much they prepare you for the test. I took the resident 90 hour course and can tell you that it was well worth the money and time.

What I found most useful in preparing for the test were the two following books:

1. Q&A by Fisher
2. RE License Exams by Martin

I personally found USPAP to be the easiest on the test. It seemed to be just common sense.

Other areas I would recommend you focus on are principles of appraising more than procedures. I don't recall needing to know how to complete a URAR for the test. I did have questions that related to when certain approaches to value are applicable, order of adjustments, GRM caculations, etc.

By the way I am in Indy, so it might be a bit different where you are.

Dan Tran

Freshman Member
Mike,

Thank you for replying Mike. My course said its equivalent to 90 hours requirements study and 15 hours equivalent requirement by USPAP. They are accredited. If you said USPAP is pretty straight forward then I am happy. I was concerned more with memorizing the specific rules then knowing its general principles. I will check out the books you've mentioned. My only other question is then there aren't many problem solving type of questions?

Thank you,

Dan.

Michael T. Hiester

Freshman Member
Dan,

I remember quite a few problem solving questions. They usually dealt with things like paired sales, time adjustments, what is GLA, etc. Most were in the context of understanding what the principles of appraising say to do, not necessarily how to make it correct on the form. Did that make sense?

Hope I am not confusing you. Spend time on definitions, principles (contribution, substitution, etc), order of adjustments, and some basic appraising math (I/RV, mil calculations, GRM, etc.).

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Most of the trainee exams will be heavy on definitions and basic principles.

Alicia Naiman

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Hi Dan,
I just took my CA Trainee test on March 22nd. I took a home correspondence course through Allied. I studied one hour every night from December up until my test date. I was a little surprised by the Trainee test. Do not take it for granted. I finished it not sure whether I passed or failed, even after all of my "over preparation." (I'm a type A if you haven't guessed) It is about how well you can analyze. They have different versions of the test, because one person who I overheard, had taken it 4 times and she got the math intensive test. My test was more concept oriented and comparables analysis.

I agree with Michael- know your concepts and HOW to apply them. That's how they test your knowledge and comprehension.

Overall, my class did not help me pass the test. Practicing tests helped me pass.

BTW, in CA, you can earn up to 400 hours assisting in appraisal preparation-- you don't need your license to do it (find a mentor asap).

~Alicia :rolleyes:

Pat Gries

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Dan,

Not sure what your state requires but I took the 90 hour class and it was what need to pass the state test. I am not sure Iwould have made it on my own.

Pat :usa:

Dan Tran

Freshman Member
hi,

Thank you for all who replied. I feel more confident. Can anyone suggest as to where I can get some sample test or through whom?

Thank you,

Dan.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Search on the net for a book by Fisher and Tosh, it is called, 1000 questions and answer to help you pass the appraiser exam. It is a very good study guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks