• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal test questions help

DanCD

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Hi,

Here are some questions in the test I was not sure of the answer. Please help. Thanks a lot.

1. The subject is located on 9th floor.
Comp 1 is located on 10th floor. Com 2 is located on 7th floor. Comp 3 is located on 6th floor. What methods are used in this case? Pair sale or quantitative analysis?

2. Which is most reliable to least reliable for comps search? time of sale, number bed/bathroom, neighborhood, GLA, price

DanCD

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I just passed the state test last weekend after couple times. I used Compucram and practicted the test until 90%. I also studied the book from AI. Everything in the state exam was worded so much differently from the study. Thanks forums.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hi,

Here are some questions in the test I was not sure of the answer. Please help. Thanks a lot.

1. The subject is located on 9th floor.
Comp 1 is located on 10th floor. Com 2 is located on 7th floor. Comp 3 is located on 6th floor. What methods are used in this case? Pair sale or quantitative analysis?

2. Which is most reliable to least reliable for comps search? time of sale, number bed/bathroom, neighborhood, GLA, price

1. Who the heck wrote these questions? Floor location is a factor in value in some markets and therefore given there are sold comps on different floors you would be using matched pairs (pair sale) so as to derive a quantitative adjustment. The question is worded badly.

2. Another poorly worded question. This would depend on the location but let's go with the choices. I would put neighborhood first (location, location, location). After that I would say GLA but bath/bed count would be similar with similar GLA homes. We are down to time of sale and price. Most would say you should never search by price which is incorrect. If I know the house is worth between $250 and $300 then I can use those as parameters.

If I am in an exclusive neighborhood a dated sale may be one of the best sales if it is in that neighborhood. However if I am in cookie-cutter-ville there is no reason to use a dated sale.

I am going to say the question is looking for: Neighborhood, GLA, Bed/bath count, time of sale and finally price.

Mark K

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Congrats!

From what I've encountered, the test questions must be written by people unfamiliar with the subject matter. Successfully passing these tests relies a lot on your ability to decipher the questions and taking a stab at what they're asking. Your two examples are poorly worded but common in online CE classes.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Gee I think I failed the test :)

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks