• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisal Three Family House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj Basnet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
Hello,

I am in a process of buying a house and we have completed purchase and sale agreement. We are waiting for the appraisal to come in. We thought we are buying a 3 family house with 3 bedrooms in each floor, making it 3 family house with 9 bedrooms. However, when we checked online and called city hall to confirm on that, we found out that they have it as 3 family house with 7 bedrooms only. So, my question is when an appraiser do their appraisal process, do they check the city record and do their appraisal for 7 bedrooms or just go with 9 bedroom? If i have to sell the house in the future, can i sell it as 9 bed ot 7 bed? I would really appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks in Advance,
Raj

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Raj, didn't you visit, walk thru, inspect the house before you wrote an offer on it? I'm not sure I understand how you have a questions about the number of bedrooms.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
assuming certain rooms are used for bedrooms that were originally designed for other uses. ?? Appraiser is unlikely to consider that but depends upon the appraiser. Time constrained fee-restricted appraisers tend to overlook any serious courthouse search if everything is otherwise typical.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Sometimes public records are just plain wrong.
How many bedrooms did you see? :shrug:

Raj Basnet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
Hello,
Yes, there are 9 bedrooms in total, each unit has 3 bedrooms. I did visit the house twice, once during open house and second time during the inspection time. My concern is that there is a discrepancy between the number of 9 bedrooms that i saw but the city record has it as 3 family house with 7 bedrooms. I just want to make sure that the other two rooms are not considered illegal and I should be able to sell the house as 3 family 9 bedroom house in future, because I offered the seller for the house thinking that it is a 3 family with 9 bedrooms.

Thanks

sandpiperapp

Professional Status
State
New York
I work in the Metropolitan New York area and completed many appraisals on multi family dwellings. Typically NYC records do not indicate rooms or bedroom counts, so a conflict between assessment records and broker listings aren't an issue. Often I have been told that there were three bedooms, by the broker or the homeowner, when one of the rooms is designed as a dining room. This happens often in attached dwellings. The dining room is often used by the occupants as a bedroom, but typically there is no window or an alternate means of egress, so I do not consider it a bedroom.
Do all of the bedrooms have a window or an alternate means of egress?

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
NY offers a difference based on Occupancy; similar here in some area's, the answer to the Question is, as Ms. Janet noted, What did You see when you walked thru ?

Raj Basnet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
I work in the Metropolitan New York area and completed many appraisals on multi family dwellings. Typically NYC records do not indicate rooms or bedroom counts, so a conflict between assessment records and broker listings aren't an issue. Often I have been told that there were three bedooms, by the broker or the homeowner, when one of the rooms is designed as a dining room. This happens often in attached dwellings. The dining room is often used by the occupants as a bedroom, but typically there is no window or an alternate means of egress, so I do not consider it a bedroom.
Do all of the bedrooms have a window or an alternate means of egress?
All the bedrooms have doors but i think two or three bedrooms in the third floor does not have windows.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
All the bedrooms have doors but i think two or three bedrooms in the third floor does not have windows.

That could be the discrepancy (the rooms with no windows); you are counting 9 rooms but 2 do not have windows (9 - 2 = 7).

In general, for a room to be considered a "bedroom" there needs to be direct access to the outside in case of a fire or some other hazard.
A window is one obvious exit.
A second door could be another (the one door leading into the room from the interior/hallway and then a door in that room leading to the outside).
IMO, a 3rd story room with no windows could be considered a "bedroom" if there were a door leading to an outside balcony with stairs then leading to the ground level.

Without going into the dynamic of the "appeal of a bedroom with no windows" and how it might impact rents, from what you describe, the appraisal would be technically correct in counting the two rooms with no windows as something other than bedrooms (unless they do have direct exterior access).

Whether they have windows or not may or may not impact the value of the property. But, the lack of windows in these rooms if they are counted as bedrooms is something that should be identified and analyzed. Likewise, if they are not counted as bedrooms but the income and value are the same as the ones with 3 conforming bedrooms, that too should be explained in the report.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Raj Basnet

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
That could be the discrepancy (the rooms with no windows); you are counting 9 rooms but 2 do not have windows (9 - 2 = 7).

In general, for a room to be considered a "bedroom" there needs to be direct access to the outside in case of a fire or some other hazard.
A window is one obvious exit.
A second door could be another (the one door leading into the room from the interior/hallway and then a door in that room leading to the outside).
IMO, a 3rd story room with no windows could be considered a "bedroom" if there were a door leading to an outside balcony with stairs then leading to the ground level.

Without going into the dynamic of the "appeal of a bedroom with no windows" and how it might impact rents, from what you describe, the appraisal would be technically correct in counting the two rooms with no windows as something other than bedrooms (unless they do have direct exterior access).

Whether they have windows or not may or may not impact the value of the property. But, the lack of windows in these rooms if they are counted as bedrooms is something that should be identified and analyzed. Likewise, if they are not counted as bedrooms but the income and value are the same as the ones with 3 conforming bedrooms, that too should be explained in the report.

Good luck!
Hello,
Thanks for your response. I apologize that I made an error. The other two rooms that I mentioned also have windows. So, all the 9 bedrooms have doors and windows. The appraisal report came in on friday and the appraisal report has mentioned 3 bedrooms in each unit, i.e 9 total bedrooms in the 3 family house. So, my question is would i be able to sell it in the future as 3 family 9 bedroom house or not ? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks