• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraiser Required to take NAR Ethics Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I was required to join the local Board of Realtors (in Tx) to obtain access to the local MLS system. I received my NAR card and am required to pay NAR fees, but I'm not a licensed Realtor.

Before obtaining access to the MLS system, I was required to take the NAR Ethics 3 hr course in Jan 2004. I've now been told by the local Board of Realtors that I must continue to take the NAR Ethics course at the required renewal period every 4 years, even if I'm an Appraiser and not a Realtor.

I am not required to take the other Realtor required cont ed courses.

Are you required to take the NAR Ethics 3 hr course even if you are not a Realtor?

Please ignore the fact that my Board of Realtors Leaders are some of the most corrupt people you will find (caught falsifying documents, lieing to Members, threatening Members, FTC complaint for unfair trade practices, etc) and the Ethics course is a joke.

muchas gracias.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Maybe you can get CE for it, so what the heck. Its their system,
their rules, the access to data is so superior to the olden days its
well worth playing along. Who knows maybe you can make a 'ethics'
point during the class that will raise a discussion.

OhioApprzr

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
yup...here in Ohio...we are too...first time for me, and I've been an affiliate for 17 years...just another way for them to make money. Doing mine December 10
worried1.gif

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I was required to join the local Board of Realtors (in Tx) to obtain access to the local MLS system. I received my NAR card and am required to pay NAR fees, but I'm not a licensed Realtor.

Before obtaining access to the MLS system, I was required to take the NAR Ethics 3 hr course in Jan 2004. I've now been told by the local Board of Realtors that I must continue to take the NAR Ethics course at the required renewal period every 4 years, even if I'm an Appraiser and not a Realtor.

I am not required to take the other Realtor required cont ed courses.

Are you required to take the NAR Ethics 3 hr course even if you are not a Realtor?

Please ignore the fact that my Board of Realtors Leaders are some of the most corrupt people you will find (caught falsifying documents, lieing to Members, threatening Members, FTC complaint for unfair trade practices, etc) and the Ethics course is a joke.

muchas gracias.

Unless I'm missing something, you are a Realtor, just not a real estate agent. Realtor isn't a license it is a membership. Belonging to the association requires an ethics class. I'm an appraiser and not an agent and I just took the ethics course again. No big deal.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
In CA you do not have to be a Realtor to belong to the MLS. However, I had to take the ethics course every 4 years to retain my broker's license until I reached age 70. I guess they figure if I have not learned to be ethical in 70 years, I ain't gonna learn it. LOL.
Actually, no CE is required once you have reached 70 as long as you have had a RE license for 30 continuous years.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Virginia does not allow it as CE for the appraiser (association would not issue me a certificate, so I guess my statement about Virginia not allowing is true).

By-laws of associations make it a requirement to remain in membership. My local association does not charge any additional fee for the class.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I agree, but good luck convincing the anti-Realtor cabal. :laugh:

No kidding.

FTR, I would hope our state doesn't allow this ethics class to count towards appraisal CE. It had nothing to do with appraisal and really is just part of the price one pays to have access to the appropriate data.

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Tell the MLS board that as an appraiser you are required to take a 7-hour Ethics class (USPAP) every two years. I know an appraiser that did this locally, and did not have to take the additional 3 hour course...can't hurt to try.

Jerry Still

Professional Status
State
Florida
I was called by a local Fort Myers & the Beach MLS lady regarding my not having taken the MLS ethics class. I told her that I was not a sales agent and had taken appraisal classes this year relating to a higher level of ethics than sales people (USPAP).

She had me wait for a minute while she tinkered with her computer. She took my appraiser I.D and changed my MLS profile to reflect that I was an Cert. appraiser and not required to sit with sales realturds for 3 hours. Kinda like an Officer In the military not fraternizing with the enlisted troops? The way it should be.

Bless Her,

JS...In Paradise (High 70's & Sun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks