• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraiser Vs. Agent Vs. Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Whenever I am having a conversation with old friends or even new acquaintances and my occupation comes up, they ALWAYS ask if I can help with finding a home for sale or for rent. Although I do have access to this information, I usually just tell them that that they need an agent ... or an inspector if that is what the conversation is alluding to. It really solidifies that people have no idea of what we really do. Even my own mother has no clue, but she is elderly and from another country so I give her a pass. Does this happen to anybody else or just me?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
More often I find people assume I appraise things I don't, like cars or jewelry/furniture etc..I tell them I have no more idea about what such things are worth than they do.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
If one doesn't have the other license, or doesn't want to use it for buyer agency, it's a good idea to establish a relationship with agents and builders for referral purposes. I don't have the temperament to weed out tire kickers from real buyers and people you know can waste a lot of your time if you let them. It takes less than one minute to give an agent or builder a lead and it makes the squawker go away. Most "referrals" amount to nothing, some will get you relatively modest fees, but some can be very rewarding. I once gave a lead to builder buddy on a fixer luxury home that I wasn't competent enough to tackle. A year later his assistant showed up at my door with a smile and an envelope full cash. :- )

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
I tell them I go to the house for the bank, they always infer I "sell" real estate.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't decide anything, I am a reporter for the bank. They decide. :peace:

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Whenever I am having a conversation with old friends or even new acquaintances and my occupation comes up, they ALWAYS ask if I can help with finding a home for sale or for rent...
Yes, it happens all the time but I was lucky enough to have lawyer-friends so learned very quickly to avoid getting involved in anything that doesn't have a fee attached (that's why I'm in business after all). I'll explain that USPAP and State Certification just don't let me and I could lose my business when I open my mouth before signing an engagement letter that includes a sample certification and limiting conditions... at that point it's just too much trouble. I might sound like a litigation exposure wimp but I keep my head in my game and avoid making eye contact. I truly regret not keeping my broker's license, however, because lately there have been some opportunities to change hats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks