• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraiser Watch Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hi All,

The deadline for submitting comments to HUD in response to their Advance Notice of Rulemaking for the Appraiser Watch Initiative was Monday, September 23, 2002.

The National Association of REALTORS submitted a comment letter over the signature of their President, Martin Edwards. NAR President Martin Edwards also signed a comment letter along with the Appraisal Institute and the American Society of Appraisers.

Read both HERE

Additionally, Tom Munizzo from the IFA assembled a National HUD Task Force with representatives from Appraisal and Industry Organizations across the country. The comment letter from that group is posted on the NAIFA site.

You can read that letter [url=http://www.naifa.com/chat/HUD/index.cgi?read=9464] HERE

Posted FYI

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Pam:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention... I'd like to highlight this phrase:

over three hundred letters of letters of opposition written by members of the Appraisal Institute were delivered to HUD in response to the Initiative.

and ask:
WHERE THE HECK WERE THE REST OF YOU?

MY letter was in there, I bet Pam, Frank, George and a host of others took the time to cobble together a letter... MINE was individually writ not just signing the official petition, but where the heck were the rest of ya even on THAT part???

We bring some of this upon ourselves :evil:

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
My letter was not one of the 300. I am not a member of AI. However, it seems that of the 20,000 members they cite as being members of the AI, only about 300 of them must do FHA/HUD appraisals.........I wonder how many ASA's or IFA's sent letters......

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
OR....only 300 of them even knew about the letter.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
As a member of NAIFA I commented to them and as a member of the AI I was one of the 300. So I counted twice! But yes, it is a concern that only 300-400 appraisers took the time and the interest to express their opinion. That is what has bugged me for years! Why do appraisers have enough time and energy to gripe and complain about all the various problems---but don't have time and energy to participate in a professional organization, read chat rooms or publications or attend chapter meetings??? Doing something, even if sitting in a corner not saying a word at an appraisal meeting would be helpful!! I want 100% attendance of everyone on this forum at the next chapter meeting of the appraisal organization of your choice! Mother has spoken!

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
GREG:

Ten lashes with a wet noodle :evil: . You who are so adept with words
SHOULD have commented.

I am dissappointed. I believe your ability to string common sense and verbage together would have been time well spent on a letter tha might have received individual attention.

There has been sufficient postings to this forum and the poltical form on this matter that you and others should have seen them. You did NOT have to be an AI member to post through that portal, it just gave a three clicks and enter your name method to send a 'me too' ... or you could modify the words, or you could go through the direct delivery methods as posted by Frank... or....

Joanne entirely I am with you: better sit up and DO something folks -

Further: that few letters really SUCKS!!!
and theres MY professional assessment :evil:

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I do not do FHA asignments.....and did send my letter........about 2 months ago around 3rd week of July, two pages, legal length, hand- signed, snail-mailed to the General Counsel--Reg. Div. address on 7th St NW in DC. Thank you, Frank, for sharing here the content of the two recently-sent reply letters concerning the Appraiser Watch Initiative. I believe those two letters state quite clearly how certain aspects of the Initiative need to be completely scrapped, and other aspects need to be re-worked, and they properly do raise the flag of common sense that shows that the appraiser community is NOT the all-inclusive doormat for heaping blame when more foreclosures and defaults emerge.
Back in July I commented in one posting about how our collective impact might be even greater if we "all" were to draft and send ....via the ol' paper envelope method.....our comments on the Initiative. Make them open all our envelopes and accumulate the paper pages we send, and that might just have a greater visual appearance of a reply. Imagine having to put stapled or clipped letters into box after box and having to "deal" with all the paper. Or else, someone at FHA/HUD holds up a CD-ROM disc of stored electronic replies and our voices are just not "heard" as well as they could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks