• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisers doing BPO's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Perrine

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Can we as appraisers do BPO's? If so what is a range of charges one would expect? What would I need to do or not do because I am a certified Residentail appraiser? Restricted use report? SOW Limitiations disclosed? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for this section is I need to repond on Monday. They just called.
Thanks,
Ben:fiddle:

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Can we as appraisers do BPO's?
Yes, except they are usually called appraisals.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
You do appraisals, real estate brokers do Broker Price Opinions

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Can we as appraisers do BPO's? If so what is a range of charges one would expect? What would I need to do or not do because I am a certified Residentail appraiser? Restricted use report? SOW Limitiations disclosed? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for this section is I need to repond on Monday. They just called.
Thanks,
Ben:fiddle:

I cannot believe the a licensed or certified appraiser would ask such a question.......that is just pitiful. Here's what you do, turn in your appraiser's license and get a real estate broker's license and you can do BPO's all day long for $50 a pop without having to worry about USPAP.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
No brokers license needed

I cannot believe the a licensed or certified appraiser would ask such a question.......that is just pitiful. Here's what you do, turn in your appraiser's license and get a real estate broker's license and you can do BPO's all day long for $50 a pop without having to worry about USPAP.

You can do them with an agents license. Or like many agents do, have secreterial staff fill them out.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
If the client came to you or contacted you because you are an appraiser or if you do not have a real estate license, the expectation is that you are an appraiser and will perform the BPO as an appraiser. Therefore, you must make the BPO USPAP compliant if you accept the assignment.

If you are also a licensed broker and they contacted you as a real estate broker, then you can do the BPO under your brokers license and USPAP does not apply.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You do appraisals, real estate brokers do Broker Price Opinions

Yes he does appraisals. So does a Broker. They just call it something else to fool appraisers. Everyone else in the world knows better and is in on the secret.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Can we as appraisers do BPO's?

Yes, you can, IF you have the appropriate salesperson's or broker's license, IF the laws of your state allow you to do so (license salepersons/brokers can often only do BPOs under specific circumstances, such as to secure a listing), and IF you were hired because of your salesperson's/broker's license.

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Richard, I do believe USPAP would apply to the BPO if the BPO is used for any other reason than a listing valuation.

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Ben, I would not get mixed up in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks