• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisers Leaving For Other Jobs - National Real Estate Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Good link Restrain

AMC's are definitely a HUGE reason, IMO, why appraisers would leave the industry.

I don't agree with this guys comment, but it stuck out to me - "Why are there no new appraisers entering the industry? Because the the current appraisers have them locked out. At least in CA you have to perform countless appraisals under an established appraiser. Currently I know of no appraisers that will take on junior appraisers"

It's not because we "lock out" the trainees, but it's not advantageous for many of us to take anyone on! Fee's and AMC requirements (i.e. trainees not allowed to inspect by themselves nor sign, etc) are major issues still. As another person commented - "Some AMC’s are receiving 50-60 percent of the total fee (appraisal fees have increased, but not for the appraiser)"

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Exactly Terrel. But I'm proud of that "experience hours" barrier. To me, it sets us (appraisers) apart from many of the other people involved in the RE industry. When people ask me what it takes to become an appraiser and I explain it ... and then they're like "Whoa! That's a lot of work" ... makes me feel proud
I'm not the biggest fan of the 4 yr degree requirement (I've said that before - because just "any degree" doesn't make you a better appraiser), but I still do believe in the hours requirement.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
When I started the hardest part was finding a way in, a mentor.
Some thing never change. :shrug:

I am thinking about going into shilling for a liquor store as a scary clown.
If I can get my avatar to agree to mentor me, I am in like Flynn. :leeann2:

Nancy Heiss

Professional Status
State
California
Exactly Terrel. But I'm proud of that "experience hours" barrier. To me, it sets us (appraisers) apart from many of the other people involved in the RE industry. When people ask me what it takes to become an appraiser and I explain it ... and then they're like "Whoa! That's a lot of work" ... makes me feel proud
I'm not the biggest fan of the 4 yr degree requirement (I've said that before - because just "any degree" doesn't make you a better appraiser), but I still do believe in the hours requirement.

I had a real estate agent once tell me she was planning to get her Appraisers License, 'just to have it'. I voiced my astonishment, declaring 'that's a lot of work to go through'. She looked at me like I had grown a third head and said 'Isn't it just an 8 hour class?' :drinking::mad2::nono::rof::shrug::mad2::mad2::mad2: Oh my...

Nancy Heiss

Professional Status
State
California
When I started the hardest part was finding a way in, a mentor.
Some thing never change. :shrug:

I am thinking about going into shilling for a liquor store as a scary clown.
If I can get my avatar to agree to mentor me, I am in like Flynn. :leeann2:

If this happens, please provide me with the address so I don't go there. I know I am not the only appraiser who is afraid of clowns.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I had a real estate agent once tell me she was planning to get her Appraisers License, 'just to have it'. I voiced my astonishment, declaring 'that's a lot of work to go through'. She looked at me like I had grown a third head and said 'Isn't it just an 8 hour class?' :drinking::mad2::nono::rof::shrug::mad2::mad2::mad2: Oh my...
YUP! I've had many agents and homeowners tell me similar things. And again, when I explain the current minimum req's, I get the same look as you! (like I've grown a third head!).
Again, I wear it as a badge of honor. I did my time, earned my stripes, got my CR. I'm proud of that! How many people can say that? (what is it, less than 100k; some say 70k in the whole country?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks