• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraising "as is" vs "Subject to"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Spychalski

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Hello:

Recently I have been getting assignments to appriase new construction condos. These projects are sold at various stages of completion.

What I would like to know is a good rule of thumb as to when the units should be appriased "as is" and when to appraise "subject to".

Is it once all the finishes are in? Once the appliances are delivered? When the unit is 75%, 80%, 90% completed?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Steve

A

Anonymous

You shouldn't appraise a property as-is unless it will be sold in the condition that you saw when you inspected it period. If you are concerned about problems with new construction make your appraisal subject to the C.O., that way the C.O. can be presented at settlement and you will not have to reinspect the property.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Steven:

As an absolute minimum, there would have to be a Certificate of Occupancy (COO). The extent to which the improvements are complete varies with different government jurisdictions. In this area, that generally means one functioning bath, heating system and a complete kitchen. Of course this would mean the exterior is basically complete. For me, the minimum for a COO is not enough. I require that any item that has some contributory value be in place. I do this because if the lender ends up owning the property, it has to be marketable. I also require that any possible health or safety issues be corrected. I'm willing to overlook some minor finish items.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
A home is complete when it's complete, period. Otherwise, it's subject to. That being said, it's not unusual for appliances and the AC compressor not to be set until the day of closing (risk of theft). I comment about that so that the lender will know. I see no reason to go back to reinspect because the microwave hasn't been set yet. Lender doesn't complain either.

Roger

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Don't forget to check the purchase agreement for any "upgrades" etc. In my area, often homes in new subdivisions have a "base price" but that price changes when the home is complete depending on what the buyer wants. Make sure you have the latest purchase agreement. Like other posters I always require a Certificate of Occupancy issued by local authorities. I require the home to be "100% complete" before issuing a "442" it helps to use the language "100% complete" when dealing with contractors, realtors, etc.

Hope this helps......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks