• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraising expensive homes

Fernando

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
When I have an order on an expensive home and the value is significantly over my E&O, I decline the assignment.
I could get a very good appraisal fee but it's not a good business decision to take such orders. Is that what most of you appraisers also do?

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I get the highest E&O coverage that is affordable. I appraise mainly 7-9 figure residential properties, but also have nearly three decades of experience doing so. I strongly recommend not taking these types of assignments if one does not have experience in doing so, and also recommend staying away from potential problem assignments.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
My market does not go 9 figures. At least not yet. We got Chain Bridge Road that can support around mid-8 figures but that is about it.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
If you get sued what are the chances you'll be sued for the total value of the property? What is a reasonable limit? I don't do property over $3 million due to the extra fees the E & O charges, otherwise, i doubt I can be over $1mm off on a $1mm dollar property.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
What kind of E&O coverage do you commercial appraiser have? The most I could get from LIA was $2 million each claim.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
There's lots of stuff over $3Mil here lately. E&O only charges a little extra if you go over that, so I don't worry about it.
I did one in the flats of Beverly Hills last year, about 3700 SF on half an acre. Comps were decent not great, it was not all that hard. $8.5Mil. :shrug:

What I do watch for is weird stuff that lacks good comps. Some areas I usually reject.
If I got something up around 8 figures I would probably reject.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
For the last ten years I've carried $1M. I'm not that far off if I do a $2M house. No one has ever sued me or gone after E/O. I always have thought E/O was just to show the wooden cross to the vampires.

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
i have $1m $1m and the highest sale price in my primary market is $450,000 with a median price of $80,000.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I still don't think you are liable for anymore than damages and the borrower is not an intended user. So how can a bank lose a $3mm on a $2mm house? They might lose $400,000 but unlikely.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
I still don't think you are liable for anymore than damages and the borrower is not an intended user. So how can a bank lose a $3mm on a $2mm house? They might lose $400,000 but unlikely.
That's true but some jumbo loans over a million dollars are becoming more common here.
Sometimes the client let me know it's a jumbo loan but still don't know if over a million.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks