• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraising In Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy Heiss

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Looking for feedback from appraisers (or others) who have worked and/or lived in Idaho. I'm giving serious thought to moving out of CA. The weather in ID may not be as temperate as CA, but then, where is? I am not yet old enough to collect social security. I'm making the extraordinary assumption that if I were to move, I will still need to work and since appraising is what I know (and usually like), that would be the natural career choice. Anyone here have any good info? Is work abundant? It appears there are under 1000 active appraisers for the state. Home pricing appears reasonable, although when I was cruising the Zillow site, a **** website popped up so I stopped looking!

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
I don't have any comments about Idaho, but wanted to encourage you to take the plunge. You'll be joining the ranks of many other appraisers who have left the F.G.S. (Former Golden State) for green pastures. I did it about 11 years ago after being a life long resident. Starting a new appraisal business in a different state was much easier than I expected. Just do your due diligence and go for it. Good luck to you.

Michael S

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
It is a non-disclosure state so no checking public records to verify sales price. It's the MLS or a party to the transaction.

I lived near the Idaho border in Washington for several years. Boise seemed nice enough when I would pass through. I remember driving through a small mountain community in May when my wife and I where moving down to New Mexico and there was still piles of snow along the roads. I imagine it would be a lot worse in January.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Would you go on your own or work with someone? You know this already, but if you aren't highly familiar with the location AND starting your own business, what incentive does a prospective client have to go with you? I hope that doesn't come across as my being skeptical of your potential to succeed there, it is just an honest question that you will have to answer if you are starting your own business. I saw on that government jobs thread a Cour D'Lene (sp?) opening. Not sure if it is still open and it looks like a nice town to live in.
I do like your incorporation of "extraordinary assumption" in your normal language :) My dad likes to use the phrase "highest and best use" in his day to day language and my wife said "functional obsolescence" to describe her cell phone the other day.
One other thing to point out, and this is just an observation that has no scientific evidence, but for whatever reason, appraisers tend to be oversupplied in what is seemingly growth areas or strong markets-I've heard multiple discuss the numbers in California and Florida. The strongest economy in Central Illinois has the biggest oversupply of appraisers. I only mention that as market strength or weakness is not, in itself an indication of the demand for appraisers in the area and in some cases, may have a negative correlation.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Why Idaho? There are 48 other states.....great big country with whatever you want.....why Idaho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks