• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Appraisor By Day < Landlord By Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateboda

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
hey im looking into appraising as a profession, and was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this thought i had. it seems to me that being an appraisor would give you quite an advantage in the world of investment properties. are there any rules limiting this venture?

Blueprint

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Appraising does give you an advantage when it comes to investing in the sense that you follow and understand the markets for a living. You are able to see what is most likely to happen at least in the in the near future based on the historical data you are studying on a daily basis. This of course is going to vary depending on how much you apply yourself.

That said, being an appraiser does not necessarily qualify you as a good investor. Some just have better or worse intuition than others. It also depends on your passion, common sense, historical understandings, etc.

For myself it has worked out well over the past few years as I knew what is happening today was going to happen over 3 years ago. Many appraisers seem to be shocked as to what has happened over the past few years and frankly, they should have never become appraisers in the first place. Just my opinion.

Also, as an appraiser you are to be 100% unbiased. You can not be appraising properties that you may have any financial interest in.

Not much to say about actually becoming an appraiser. It's really tough to do these days residential wise, and the future is unknown. Commercial is the next shoe to fall, and is already happening, but is still a much better way to go long term. Read as many threads as you can on this forum to help yourself make a more educated decision.

nateboda

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
Value of Renovation

would you agree that the knowledge of an appraisor could help him or her make wise decisions regarding what renovations should be performed on an investment property to make it more valuable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks