• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are AMC's Misrepresenting Their List of Customers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting faxes and e-mails from AMC types who upon initial contact make claim of doing work for large nation lenders. At first, they fax a data sheet requesting all sorts of info, including MY list of fees. Since I don't know who they are, and don't like AMCs to begin with, I want to know who their customers are and if they pay full fees. I'm very suspect of these people.

The latest one was an outfit that calls themselves NCS (National Closing
Solutions). Based on their fax number area code they are in Texas. They claim to be the AMC for Chase. I do Chase work and have never heard of them.

Is anybody else getting these types, or am I just paranoid ?

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Funny you should mention that - we've received faxes from 2 different AMCs both claiming to represent the same lender. We gave them their due attention (round file)!!! :twisted:

graindart

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
My favorites are the ones that don't even list names, but claim to have thousands of current lender clients.

Mike Simpson

Joe-

No worries mate. Give the AVM's all the rope they want.

Here's what I tell my clients and here's some feedback from them.

I tell my client: You need to be extremely cautious of these AVM's. Despite what their silver-tongued salesman might be selling you, I'm getting calls from a lot of frustrated lenders regarding the valuation estimations these things spit out. They're extremely inaccurate based on what I've seen thus far. Ask yourself how an AVM arrives at a value determination compared to an appraiser conducting inspections and basing their estimates on years of experience and education, and I think you'll begin to understand why you're having problems.

My client: Some are cursing the AVM's for costing them time & money. They get frustrated and call me to straighten out the confusion the AVM has caused. They're questioning why they bothered using the AVM in the first place, and many have already abandoned their use considering it a dead experiment.

The proof is in the pudding my friend. Those tauting and singing the praises of the AVM's are opportunist seeking to exploit an industry problem--that being the lender's desiring to unbridle themselves of the appraiser. However, the accuracy of the AVM is extremely suspect at this time and has not satisfied the need of the lender with any degree precision. Fear not--until an AVM starts inspecting homes, calling real estate agents, buyers, and sellers to asertain whether concessions were included in the sale, and the volumes of other analysis a qualified appraiser performs in the normal course of business--I wouldn't consider them a threat to our industry.

-Mike

Oh yeah--I almost forgot--the lender needs you for insurance (you know your E & O). Do ya think an AVM is gonna stand behind their wide value range or offer any degree of insurance to the lender?--Puuuleeezzzeee

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Hey Joe-

I have a small pile of them I haven't had time to "reconsider". But yes there are alot of claims.

But hey! Misrepresentation? It could be a mere oversight. Maybe a compilation error-probably a computer error. Or possibly the list has not been edited recently.

Bake the big ones. Pan fry the little ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks