• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are Some VA Lenders Not Paying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McClure

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
Having more trouble than normal getting VA appoved lenders in the Cleveland Regional Office area to pay for appraisal services. We have had problems with this issue for years. I've followed the new VA directive and sent the regional office the necessary form with the 26-1805, copies of emails and contacts, but no response. Appraently, the regional office is swamped with past due invoices for their approved lenders. Something needs to be done.

Are there any other regions having better luck collecting past due invoices? Any regions doing things different? As per the 26-1805 line #37, the lender certifies and agrees "to forward to the appraiser the approved fee we are holding for this purpose", isn't working. I'm aware that the regional office has a much larger area now, but most of us would like to be paid for our services within a reasonable period. I have a real problem with completing an assignment for a lender that doesn't pay, or return calls and emails. There has got to be a better way.

Tom McClure
Ohio

realbiz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Knock on wood, I have not had this problem here. I have only one outstanding invoice. Last three or four were COD's per the lenders requirements.

Jan Roseberry

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I have 2 and have submitted all required paper work to the VA office in Cleveland. Mine are from early, early this year.

I think what makes me the maddest is they always want them done NOW and you do not get the check NOW or even later.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Demand that all work must be COD.
"No offense to you sir, but we haven't dealt with one another before, and this is what I do with ALL new clients"

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Since VA does not allow you collect COD directly from the borrower (or so I am told), tell the lenders that you are not sending the report until they send you a check for full payment and it clears in your bank account (I am assuming this would be permissable for VA). If lenders don't like it, then don't do the appraisal for them unless it is one you know and trust. You are better off not working than working for no pay.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If I did VA work I would try using a la mode's XSite feature that allows you to deliver the report, but the client not be able to download it without making payment. It enables an appraiser to document they completed the work and the lender was the problem.

Tom McClure

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Great ideas, but none will work with VA assignments.

VA appraisers are not permitted to collect fees from the borrower unless instructed to do so by the lender, (which is quite unusual).

Per VA, the VA approved lender is to collect from the borrower and forward to the appraiser the approved fee they have held for that purpose, (where the problem starts).

In addition, we have only five working days to complete the appraisal, which must then be uploaded (ONLY) into VA's e'appraisal system.

Appraisers on the fee panel are also not permitted to reject an assignment, simply due to previous non payment issues with a lender.

Tom McClure
Ohio

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Well, I'll just leave that wonderful world to others.

Tom McClure

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I would like to get some feed back from other VA fee panel appraisers. Anyone having the same problems we are having with VA lenders? It appears to be the same lenders and brokers that don't return phone calls or emails. Apartently, they could care less if the appraiser gets paid. Seems like they know that the VA Regional Office will do little or nothing to them, so they do as they please.

Several other fee panel appraisers in the area are having the same issues with non-payment, as well as the low fees for VA. The Cleveland VA Regional Office has a much larger area now and I'm sure they are doing the best they can. It's a good feeling being able to help veterans and do our job honestly the way it should be. However, considering the current fees and difficulty getting paid, not not sure it's worth it anymore.

Tom McClure
Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks